iMessages: What's New in iOS 13

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dude-x macrumors regular

I don't expect the notch to be permanent. But I barely notice it in my day to day. I do expect Apple to make a notchless design sometime in the next two years.

2. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

More complications to an app that doesn’t need more menus or features. It’s messaging. There ar so many useless and weird features thrown into it now, that it’s actually confusing to figure out how to use. Looks cluttered, confusing, and isn’t overall a complete mess of a user interface. Not surprising though, that’s the direction Apple has been trending.

3. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

I think you need to hop in a time machine and go back to the 90's and reevaluate your comment. :rolleyes:

4. kplayaja macrumors newbie

kplayaja

I still can’t reply to a specific message or person in a thread tho.

5. rocketman80 macrumors newbie

Yeah I wish they would take out some of the useless stuff and add features like being able to reply to specific messages like a Reddit thread

6. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Yep.

7. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

Services that doesn't work with Android are always a failure and no one cares about it, I mean look at iCloud, iWork, Apple Books, Apple Podcasts, iCloud Photos! Even hardware is DOA, just look how horrible AirPods & Apple Watch are doing! Meanwhile, I am enjoying my Google whatever messaging app that they will not discard the next morning.

Seriously though, I want Apple to make Messages app simpler, too many taps to do simple things for an iOS app.

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I have a weird issue where imessage displays a contacts nickname in previews and the imessage group text UI's. Once I open a group chat up or a new message it shows their normal name.

9. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Dunno, I think a lot of plans here in the states have had unlimited SMS for a while now. Pictures go through MMS just fine, last I checked.

10. georgehanson macrumors newbie

georgehanson

11. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

The Chinese models allow 2 physical SIM the others have one SIM slot and the built in eSIM. You need a network that supports the eSIM and you use that as their card, then pop in a SIM from another network.

List of carriers which support eSIM:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

12. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

MMS definitely isn't free for me. The costs quite quickly add up, especially if sending full-size/resolution pictures. I could revert to email, which I guess would be the correct tool, but I'm lazy and iMessage/WhatsApp etc seem easier for just sending a load of photos of a shared day out to each other.

13. Vixenne, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  14. ignatius345, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019

ignatius345 macrumors 68020

I mean, whatever the most of your network is using, I guess, right? Where I am, in the US, I find the iMessage / SMS "text thread" is the lowest common denominator and has the least friction. Generally everyone I meet is like "ok, I'll text you" and that means Messages if you're on an iPhone.

I've been in special purpose groups where people want to use GroupMe or whatever, but that's usually like another layer of organizing people to be on there, sign up, install the app if they don't have it, etc. Whenever I've travelled overseas recently, people are all jacked into WhatsApp, but I prefer to keep Facebook out of my business as much as possible, personally. Then there's WeChat, which I only used when my friend was in China and I was chatting with him a lot.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2019 ---
    Pretty sure using "enable Messages in iCloud" takes care of this. Your whole message history is saved in iCloud and synced only as needed. And if you get a new Apple device, all your messages start flowing in as soon as you sign into iCloud, making it all pretty seamless.

15. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Nah, I don’t think so. I think what he wants is to use his iPad to store all the conversations while saving up spaces on iPhone. Not a bad thing to do. What iCloud message does is every device will theoretically have one singular exact copy of iMessages, and changes made are applied across the board, which is not what he wants.

16. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Messages in iCloud purges old messages from local storage. As you say, you see the same messages on every device, but it can purge the database to save local storage space. When it first came out, I enabled it on my Mac and the size of my iMessage database dropped dramatically.

17. jchiou macrumors 6502

jchiou

would love being able to mark a message as unread. not sure why this has not been implemented in messages yet!!

18. FlyingPoliceBox macrumors newbie

FlyingPoliceBox

So maybe I'm missing something here (if so I feel REALLY dumb) but where is the option to delete a photo/attachment in Messages? In iOS 12, I could navigate to a particular conversation, click the "i" at the top, view all photos and attachments in that conversation thread, press and hold on photo or attachment, and either delete it immediately or select more and then "checkmark" multiple individual message bubbles, photos, and/or attachments. I cannot figure out how to do this in iOS 13. I just installed the lastest Developers beta 6 and still not seeing it. I was hoping this was just something overlooked or disabled in the new iOS, but after six betas, I am either missing something, or pretty upset at Apple for removing. Any ideas or help out there?