IMF head denied bail on attempted rape charge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 16, 2011.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ed-rape-charge/2011/05/16/AFZ2V24G_story.html

2. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I gather this guy is a huge sleaze who has been in trouble with sex scandals in the past.

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Nice to see that we still live in a world where the rich and powerful don't get away with whatever they want. (if the guy is indeed guilty)

Edit: From the New York Times

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

We're very lucky the guy was caught before returning to France. We don't have an extradition treaty and knowing the French they would have refused to send him back to face a trial.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The French like their politicians to fool around.

6. rovex, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

rovex macrumors 65816

The French government is more corrupt than people think. Countless times i've slanted them on their legal system and general running of the country. Sticking kids in mental institutes for several weeks and even months is one example i find absurd.

Another that's just sprung to mind is Antisemitism jokes and remarks can lead to imprisonment. I don't advocate racism but this is ridiculous. Might as well jail bosses who don't employ someone because of their race, and that is happening on a daily occurence, that would go down well with the masses.

7. 184550 Guest

I suppose this will help Sarko's coming campaign.

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Its run by people isn't it :eek:.

It almost makes me wish we could find a real life "Lord Vetenari", benevolent dictatorship can be a wonderful thing.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not necessarily, a lot of French people think the only difference between Sarkozy and Strauss-Kahn is that the latter appears to have been caught out.

10. 184550 Guest

Eh, some of the opinion pieces I've read say that it'll only help come election time in France; he'll be a stronger incumbent.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think he's more qualified to lead Italy. :D

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

fool around =/= forcible rape :confused:

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Absolutely. I was making a general point, though it needs qualification. This sounds a great deal more than "fooling around".

14. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I took it with a grain of salt until I heard that this guy has a history of this kind of behavior.

Sorry Frenchie, your stay in NYC will be a lot longer than planned...and where you're going, they love Frency pastries like you!

15. codymac macrumors 6502

You mean like all the criminals responsible for the 2008 meltdown?

16. rovex macrumors 65816

To some extent, but the National Front are gaining a lot of popularity.

17. rovex macrumors 65816

No doubt about that, the government over there consists of clowns, clueless on how to run a country like a western european country should be run.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So are the French really this neive to think this guy is innocent?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-strausskahn-denial-idUSTRE74J23420110520

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well, if you wanted to set someone up his history makes for a good person to do it too. And aren't you supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? I don't like how they publicize the names and parade people around who are accused of rape but not convicted, if he does turn out to be innocent then all the media has ruined his reputation. If he's convicted then I don't feel sorry at all.

20. MacNut, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I get the idea that the French like their politicians to sleep around and get insulted when they don't. Like it is his right to rape a woman and that she had it coming.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

See it's like this: trying to rape one person is a crime, financially screwing an entire country and then lying to Congress about it is just business.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps he assumed, at those prices, that the turn-down service included his foreskin?

23. coupdetat macrumors 6502

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It looks like the prosecution's case is coming apart. Apparently, the alleged victim can't keep her lies straight.

NYT

25. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

So do we have pie in our faces now? A lot of opinions on this thread were pretty determinate that he was guilty. What has ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?