IMHO... Apple will get rid of the home button...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by POLBOSS, Aug 1, 2012.

1. POLBOSS macrumors member

[​IMG]

The multitask, home and return buttons are not physical they are part of the touchscreen, only disappear when you are watching a video on landscape mode...
    That's why apple is going longer and not wider... the apps will have the same resolution as today...

2. Furifo macrumors 6502

Hmm, an interesting idea but I don't think they will. After all these lawsuits against Samsung and Apple's war with Google, I don't think they will create something that looks like it is mimicking Android (let's just ignore the notification centre pull down for a moment ;))

Plus, I really hope they don't get rid of the home button. I've used both iPhone + Android phones and I MUCH prefer the solitary, PHYSICAL home button of the iPhone against the touchscreen buttons of the many Android phones.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Interesting idea but I don't see it happening. With them focusing more and more on Siri I don't see them going away from a mechanical home button anytime soon.

4. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

The home button is one of the best things about the design of the iPhone. Getting rid of it would be silly imo. I imagine it would cause great difficulty in keeping the different iPhones on the same OS.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The problem I see here is that the only evidence that we have that Apple is going longer and not wider is the parts leaks. The parts leaks also clearly have a physical home button.

FWIW I am with you. We need no physical home button. It breaks to easily from overuse!

6. audix macrumors regular

Sounds like people wanting an Android phone it really does

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Because they think the home button isn't necessary? Give me a break... You can already do everything you need to within iOS without the home button in accessibility settings. It has nothing to do with wanting an Android phone. FWIW, a buttonless interface only came to Android within the last year anyway.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple continues to cling to the old school mechanical button. An odd choice indeed.

Once you've experienced a modern, ultra long lasting touch sensitive button just below the touchscreen, you'll wonder why the trouble prone, space wasting, over sized mechanical button is there.

If it was like a blackberry with a mechanical keyboard, that would be one thing, but to use a single mechanical button, just below the best touch screen in the business is total lunacy. Only the Apple faithful would put up with it.

Jobs was one odd bird :eek:

10. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

As much as I used to hate the home button.....I really did miss it A LOT when I had my two galaxy nexus phones.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Seriously, Android vs. iOS aside, Apple really needs to do this. For such an innovative tech company, they sure are clinging to that home button.

12. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Ya know, I've never had a problem with my home button on my 3Gs and I've had it since launch day but I sure have been seeing mention of this issue pop up around here and other forums lately, honestly, I've been thinking about it more lately and now I'm thinking I don't like the idea of my home button 'wearing down' over time, lol.

I mean, I don't expect it to last forever but I certainly don't want to have to worry about it.

13. audix macrumors regular

I call it touchscreen envy. I'd hate to see the iPhone become more like an Android device. Everything about the new one have just been "I need it because Android has it" or "compared to an Android phone"

The home button stays.

P.S. if they were going to start taking home buttons off of devices, they would have taken it off of the new iPad.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

the button is kind of signature to the iphone's design, i don't think they'll remove it

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd like to try a touch sensitive button phone. Not sure if I would like it or not on an every day basis.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Thus far, nobody in this thread has even used Android as a reason why the touchscreen is unnecessary, hence my confusion with your statement. Your clarification cleared up nothing for me.

We got Widgets and notification center with iOS5... should we get rid of those because Android had something similar first?

----------

It's one of those issues that is easy to say is not a problem until it happens to you. I know I did it! My fiance's iPhone 4 is starting to have this issue. Started about two months ago where maybe 10% of the time it didn't work. Slowly that crept up to about 50% so she decided not to use it at all. Now she is so used to it, when she picks up my 4S she "forgets" how to use the home button. It REALLY isn't necessary; this is something you are bound to learn if your home button breaks and you are forced to us iOS without it.

17. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Question: How do you wake up your phone on Android when the screen went black after inactivity ? Do you press the power button ? Or just the screen ?

The home button is obviously a much better choice to turn on the screen than the power button.
    I'm not sure if I want a phone that gets turned on by mere touching of the screen. How often during the day would my screen get turned on inadvertently, and wasting a lot of power.

I like the Home button, it's a good choice.

-t

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a good point.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yes, you use the power button. Personally, I don't see how the power button is inferior to the home button for this task. Works just fine for me either way. WP7 was the same way, when I used it for a brief stint.

20. audix macrumors regular

The home button is necessary for that omnipotent control that you don't get with devices that don't have it. You're completely enslaved to the OS. Touchscreens are cool, but when it's all touchscreen it gets just as annoying as having to type a paragraph on one. With thr home button it's instant quit to apps. It always takes you back to where you began from wherever you are.

I am 100% certain that the home button will stay.

21. pdjudd macrumors 601

The home button to me serves two really important functions.

1) With one button press at any time I can get out of any app and go to the hope screen. It is a very deliberate thing too and foolproof

2) Apple would have to have some way to force reboot the system should things go belly up (say the OS locks up totally). Remember - you don't have the option of pulling the battery here and you need more than one button since the side to turn off is dependent on the screen responding.

I don't see it going anywhere any time soon. Seriously, there is no reason to get rid of it other than some blanket assertion that they need to because everyone else is. We need a solid reason why a physical button is unneeded overriding the reasons to keep it.

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I think it will stay as well. I have used an Android Tablet that used a Home button on the touch screen, I did not like it.

Knock on wood, but I havent had any issues with the Home Button yet, but I can see how it would be frustrating.

23. gta50419 macrumors 6502

You know whats dumber? Macrumors getting rid of the thumbs down button so we can't thumbs down dumb ass opinions like this...

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And dumb posters like you... thankfully, the whole down voting got rid thanks to a proposal made by me and others.

However, you said something very true, it is an opinion, so, if you don't like it. Then why pay attention to it or respond to it? It just makes it more visible.

Yes I do stand by what I said earlier, not having one is just plain stupid.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

While you may certainly have your opinion, perhaps there is a nicer way to voice it than to say the OP's (and many other's) opinion is "dumb". You disagree. That's great. Give examples why you disagree. Simply saying it's a dumb idea will net you nothing other than inflammatory remarks (surprise, surprise, this has already happened).