IMO the best In Ear Headphone for MBA-Bowers&Wilkins C5

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by loverumors, Aug 13, 2011.

1. loverumors macrumors member

Just wondering what kind headphone you guys use with your MBA. Just got my B&W C5 today. Its awesome. It also has in line mic and remote works with mac , iPhone. Now I am looking for a pair of over the ear headphone, any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Best in Ear headphone for the money... you mean. I hope. Because I had B&W C5 and returned it. Now, I won eShure 535 and it blows away everything I have heard so far.

As far as your headphone question...

I have B&W P5 and it blows just about anything in that price range. It always comes down to how much money you are willing to pay.

3. loverumors thread starter macrumors member

Your are right, best for the money. 535 is triple driver, b&W is single driver, of course it should sounds better. I was looking at the P5 the other day, it looks good, is it comfortable when you wear it for long time?

4. maclook macrumors 65816

Beautiful photo.

I'm also in the market for a set of over the ear headphones. I personally have Klipsch's in-ear earphones and love them so I looked into their $150 headphones. I read reviews that said the noise canceling was bad which was surprising because I can't hear anything while using the in-ears. I guess the cheapest way to get noise canceling is to plug your ears with in-ears. It seems to me that all the good headphones are priced at $300, which is way over my budget.

5. hcho3, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

hcho3 macrumors 68030

535 costs 499 dollars, so Meh...
    I have it and I like it. So, that's what it matters.

Is it comfortable wearing it for a long time? Well, it is okay with me, but it gets little uncomfortable on warm days.

Here are my takes on P5.

Good: It sounds amazing. It is the concert for one. It looks amazing and it has a very good build quality. It comes with two cords and carrying case. P5 delivers one of the most accurate sound I have ever heard on any headphones. Unlike Dr.dre... which just gives base.

Bad: 299 dollars price tag might not be justifiable for some. The headphone is not uncomfortable, but it gets little warm on hot/sunny days. The build quality is amazing, but the cord feels too thin. In other words, this thing costs 299 dollars. I expected more from 299 dollars headphone.

Final words: I am very picky person with spending 200-300 dollars on headsets. But, P5 is about in price range with just about any other headphones. I also recommend looking at Bose Quiet comfort 15 and some Dr. Dre headphones.

6. DrNelly macrumors member

Shure 535 are simply put, the best in ear monitors/earphones money can buy at the moment. High end Westones can be a worthy second, but that's all they will ever achieve with the current gen products.

The triple driver, the rich and potent bass and the brilliant middle range really help the 535 shine over anything right now.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I use Westone UM3X's. Probably the most balanced IEMs I've ever heard. I do wish they had an inline mic though.

I kinda wanna get some on-ear headphones with an inline mic...looking at the Klipsch Image One...any one have any opinions or suggestions?

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Shure 535 costs 429-499 dollars. The cheapest price I have ever seen yet was at least 399 dollars.

Bowers and Wilkins C5 only costs 179 dollars.

Shure 535 headset is also very big compare to others. In my honest opinion, I would go C5 and save some money for other things.

Shure 535 does sound amazing. I am not sure if it's 499 dollars amazing.

9. loverumors thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I guess you get what you pay for. Need to work some more to support my gear purchasing habit.

10. loverumors thread starter macrumors member

I had some Dr. dre headphones, they are all bass heavy, I guess it all depends on what music you listen to. C5 is very balanced IMO. I think I just use it as my all around headphone. Save some money, who knows when apple will come out some "Must Buy" stuff, HaHa.

11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

12. loverumors thread starter macrumors member

WOW, thats 5 grand headphone, I guess am not a true audiophiles then.

13. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

OP what did you use to shoot the pic n in which settings

14. loverumors thread starter macrumors member

I used fujix100 marco mood@f2.8 jpg fine setting. Did a little post processing in LR3 into B&w.

15. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Nah, if you appreciate high fidelity, then you are an audiophile regardless of the dollar amount of your equipment.

It's the granular criteria one uses to choose audio equipment that differentiates one as an audiophile.

16. loverumors thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. But You get what you pay for, someday when I hit the lottery, I will buy something like that and see if I can tell the difference between 5000$ AND $200 headphones.:)

17. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I use the Shure se535 IEM as well and agree it's best for my music preference now until newer/better IEM comes out. I was going to upgrade from the Shure se530 PTH to the Sennheiser IE8 for a change, but then after listening the se535, I stuck with the Shure brand. :rolleyes:

18. urxtream macrumors newbie

I have a pair of Shure SE535 as well and they're excellent!! :cool:

19. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

My Etymotic hf-3 have treated me pretty well.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use Shure SE530 when traveling. At home I would sometime use the B&W P5 or just the MM-1 speakers. The P5s are quite good, though for me they don't even come close (both in comfort and sonic quality) to Sennheiser HD650.

21. maclook macrumors 65816

I owned a pair of Sennheiser headphones and they were great. I honestly think they have some of the ugliest designs though. They are unique and easily recognizable but I really dislike the look.
    I'm interested in the P5s. The memory foam seems very comfortable.