iMovie 8.0.6 and snow leopard...editing one thing changes time on the one next to it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benji888, Jan 21, 2012.

1. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

HELP!!! :confused:

Why o why is it whenever I work on a project and change one clip it changes the transition/clip next to it also?? I have "Add automatic transition duration" UNchecked. I cannot find anything else in the preferences as to why it is doing this. It seems like it used to do it sometimes and now it does it every time. This is so frustrating. If I am editing a clip it should NOT be changing anything else!

HELP!! I have a project I am working on, but cannot continue until this is resolved.

<frustrated>

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

You are talking about the transition boxes that go in between clips? If so, they add a second or so to next clip(lip syncing problem..example), if it is a video(not still pic), when adding a transition, you'll need to take a little off the next video to sync. I'm not sure if your trying to match lips or motions from your post, or if you have one song covering the whole project.
    I know what your talking about, with wanting to tweek it a lil more last minute, that is why i try to work from beginning to end, or it will be all out of whack. Basically: you seem like when ever you add something you need to take that same amount of length time off the next clip.
    If i'm on the page as your talking, let me know.

3. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

I found this:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/imovie_09_stone.html

It seems there is a way to lengthen or shorten the clip without it affecting the next transition/clip after all. There are blue boxes on each corner with arrows, click on these and that side gives an orange edit box, drag and it does not change anything else, only that clip. :eek: This is what I needed. I would help if Apple had a manual. :p

problem solved.

4. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

UGH still having issues!!!

ok, so here is where the issue is... I am using pics to make a video, I change the time of the transition inbetween and it changes the time of the pics next to it. I change the pics back to what I want and the transition changes also!?!

UGH, the pics do not have the same adjustments found with video. Video I can adjust just the way I want.

WHY OH WHY CAN I NOT MAKE THE TIME EXACTLY WHAT I WANT IT TO BE?

I do not understand why one should affect the other. If I change the time on one, it should not affect anything else.

This is EXTREMELY frustrating!!!

somebody please help!!

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That's the way it works.
    Type transitions into iMovie's help and have a read, especially the bit about Adjusting The Duration, which gives a diagram of how it works.

6. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

ok, so I think I get it. I was using transition times that were too long and the text turned yellow to tell me this.

It makes sense now. But, still, it is a little quirky. If I ever get Final Cut Pro maybe it won't be this way.