Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imovie.jpg
iMovie for iOS was today updated to version 2.2.5, introducing long-awaited support for the full screen edge-to-edge display of the iPhone X.

Along with iPhone X display support, today's update also adopts Metal for graphics processing, and it improves overall stability. Apple says installing the new version of iMovie requires iOS 11.2 or later.
What's New
- Updated for Super Retina display on iPhone X
- Adopts Metal for graphics processing
- Improves localization for Simplified Chinese
- Improves overall stability

This version of iMovie requires iOS 11.2
Since the iPhone X launched in November, iMovie was one of the major Apple apps that had not been updated with support for the new display, forcing iMovie users to deal with black bars on their flagship devices.

Thankfully, with the update, the iMovie app now displays properly on the iPhone X. Several other Apple apps have yet to be updated with iPhone X support, including iTunes Connect, iTunes Remote, Beats Pill+, Music Memos, and AirPort Utility.

iMovie for iOS version 2.2.5 comes just a few days after Apple released an update for the Mac version of iMovie with support for iPhone X resolutions for app previews and a number of bug fixes.

Article Link: iMovie for iOS Gains Support for iPhone X Display and Adopts Metal for Graphics Processing

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Does the macOS version support metal? Call me a little bit surprised that metal support hasn't been included until now in the iOS version. Now makes me doubt whether the desktop version also supports metal.
Desktop definitely supports metal even though I think it only came in the 4.0 update a few months ago

mikesch

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
Wow. At first, I was super excited to finally see this update, but it turns out that zero f***s seem to have been given:
  • There's not a single new feature. The last time new features were added was more than 2 1/2 years ago, alongside the release of iPhone 6s and iOS 9.
  • The UI looks quite outdated and constantly glitches out, especially the iCloud Drive import menu, which still looks like it's been designed by a three-year-old. They didn't even make the effort to rename the "iCloud Drive" option to something that reflects the new Files app.
  • Oh, and of course, there's still no support for 4K60 and HEVC exports.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Something is very wrong with priority at Apple, whoever is in charge of their first party app updates should be seriously reprimanded, it's quite ridiculous that Apple being the mutibillion dollar corporation that they are is just not supporting their flagship phone 5 MONTHS LATER! in the life cycle. iOS is becoming the old google android and it looks bad professionally.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Wow. At first, I was super excited to finally see this update, but it turns out that zero f***s seem to have been given:
  • There's not a single new feature. The last time new features were added was more than 2 1/2 years ago, alongside the release of iPhone 6s and iOS 9.
  • The UI looks quite outdated and constantly glitches out, especially the iCloud Drive import menu, which still looks like it's been designed by a three-year-old. They didn't even make the effort to rename the "iCloud Drive" option to something that reflects the new Files app.
  • Oh, and of course, there's still no support for 4K60 and HEVC exports.
Ať this stage, the iOS iMovie is almost as useful as “edit and trim” in the Photos app.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Something is very wrong with priority at Apple, whoever is in charge of their first party app updates should be seriously reprimanded, it's quite ridiculous that Apple being the mutibillion dollar corporation that they are is just not supporting their flagship phone 5 MONTHS LATER! in the life cycle. iOS is becoming the old google android and it looks bad professionally.

Agreed, but I also thought that first party apps were developed by the same people who write the core of the OS. So iOS apps are made by the iOS team and mac apps are made by the MacOS team.

I've also heard that the MacOS and iOS teams are so understaffed that they pull from each other just to get OS updates done.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Agreed, but I also thought that first party apps were developed by the same people who write the core of the OS. So iOS apps are made by the iOS team and mac apps are made by the MacOS team.

I've also heard that the MacOS and iOS teams are so understaffed that they pull from each other just to get OS updates done.
Well heck like I said they're a multibillion dollar corporation this shouldn't be the case at all.

Reactions: ZZ Bottom

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
And Apple wonders why the X isn’t selling well

I think it’s more to do with the $1000 than the iMovie notch support.

Agreed. I seriously doubt people aren’t buying the X because iMovie had little black bars. How many people even use iMovie on their phones anyway?

The price might be part of it, though to be fair, he price of the X isn’t that much more than a Plus phone.

I know of several people that didn’t want to give up their Plus sized phones, or who were assuming 2018 would see a Plus sized ‘X’ and decided to hold off until that release. I love my X. I’ll love whatever ‘X’ style phone comes out this year, too. :)

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Agreed. I seriously doubt people aren’t buying the X because iMovie had little black bars. How many people even use iMovie on their phones anyway?

The price might be part of it, though to be fair, he price of the X isn’t that much more than a Plus phone.

I know of several people that didn’t want to give up their Plus sized phones, or who were assuming 2018 would see a Plus sized ‘X’ and decided to hold off until that release. I love my X. I’ll love whatever ‘X’ style phone comes out this year, too. :)
It’s not just about black bars. This is a representation of Apple’s lack of dedication to the entire phone/experience on multiple fronts, including tone death to the price.

Reactions: kazmac and Stella
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.