iMovie not submitting videos to YouTube in HD anymore?

Bobjoefredsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
I have a Cannon video camera and I submit clips of my fish to YouTube, and it used to submit videos in 1080p but somewhere along the way it stopped doing that so its only 360p now.

How do I change it back? When I import video clips to a project, I go to file>import>movies>(video clip) then I select "optimize video" and choose "large" so it imports without messing up video quality.

But it still keeps uploading the actual video in 360p! When I watch my video clips on iMovie full screen playback, its definitely 1080p and it looks beautiful. Why does it change it to 360p when I upload to YouTube?

I click share>youtube. But after I title the video and everything, I try to click the button to HD (1080p) but everything except 360p turns grey, meaning I can't click it

HELP ME PLEASE

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
First of all when you import ''large" video it's only at 960x540. Also, I would export using quicktime, make sure you have full resolution selected, and then upload the resulting file to YouTube via your browser that way you know exactly what you are going to get on the YouTube watch page.

Bobjoefredsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
But you can't compile or add effects using QuickTime

It's not a difficult question. I was able to do it in HD before and all I want is to have that option back

----------

First of all when you import ''large" video it's only at 960x540. Also, I would export using quicktime, make sure you have full resolution selected, and then upload the resulting file to YouTube via your browser that way you know exactly what you are going to get on the YouTube watch page.
Wait I'm confused how do you export to QuickTime? So can I make my video on iMovie then export the whole thing to QuickTime and upload it from there?

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
But you can't compile or add effects using QuickTime

It's not a difficult question. I was able to do it in HD before and all I want is to have that option back

----------

Wait I'm confused how do you export to QuickTime? So can I make my video on iMovie then export the whole thing to QuickTime and upload it from there?
There's an option in the share drop down called Export Using Quicktime. Use that, or if I remember correctly there's a share option called Export that gives you several options, one of them being HD 1080p. Keep in mind if you use this option it will default to low quality 128kbps audio, while Export Using Quicktime allows you to customize the bitrate for both audio and video (recommended).

Bobjoefredsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Sorry dude I'm not techy at all. So is this an option for iMovie or is this ALL of QuickTime?

----------

There's an option in the share drop down called Export Using Quicktime. Use that, or if I remember correctly there's a share option called Export that gives you several options, one of them being HD 1080p. Keep in mind if you use this option it will default to low quality 128kbps audio, while Export Using Quicktime allows you to customize the bitrate for both audio and video (recommended).

So this is under iMovie? What tab do I find it in? File? Edit?

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Sorry dude I'm not techy at all. So is this an option for iMovie or is this ALL of QuickTime?

----------

So this is under iMovie? What tab do I find it in? File? Edit?
This option is for iMovie. If you reread my first sentence, I said you'll find it in the Share drop down. :apple: