iMovie squeezes my 16:9 Quicktime movie. Any way around this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rebhaf, Jun 17, 2009.

1. rebhaf macrumors member

Can anyone help???
    :confused:

After going nuts for a few days, trying to figure out how to resize a 4:3-format Quicktime .mov video into 16:9 (wide-screen) in iMovie, I figured out what the problem was...

Much to my surprise, my Quicktime .mov video ALREADY WAS in 16:9 format. For some reason, when I import it into iMovie, it becomes 4:3 and adds black bars on the side. iMovie just won't recognize it as a 16:9 video.

In another forum (on another site), I found out that you can first export the Quicktime .mov file as a .dv file and simply go into options and select 16:9. This worked; I got the Quicktime into 16:9. However, the quality is atrocious.

Now, playing around, I tried something else: exporting the .mov into .mov (yes, same extension) and also going into options to select 16:9. What's weird is, when I did this, it opened up that little time bar to show me the progress... so far it's taken about two hours to move 1/5 of the way through.

Can it possibly be this long?
    Does anyone know a better way to do this?

All I want is for iMovie to recognize my Quicktime file as 16:9, without having to resave it in all these weird file types where I lose lots of quality.

Thanks in advance!

2. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Which version of iMovie? What about your CPU and RAM?

3. rebhaf thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, most of my stuff is fairly old...

iMovie v 5.0.2 (111)
    Quicktime Pro v 7.4.5 (25)
    iBook G4, standard config: 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB processor
    OSX Tiger

4. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

5. rebhaf thread starter macrumors member

Not really. If something needs upgrading, then great... that's helpful to know. But what? Just the OS? Just Quicktime? Is it something I can only do with an Intel Mac?

Just saying my stuff is old isn't an answer. Eventually, I will be upgrading everything. But in the meantime, if there's an easier short-term fix, it'd be useful to know what it is.

6. johnhw macrumors 6502

Upgrade iMovie?

It's an old version, I think it doesn't support 16:9 aspect ratio, just 4:3..

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This says that iMovie 5 supports widescreen. This page isn't loading for me but may be useful.