iMovie'09: improve quality of videos exported to iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Xylian, May 15, 2010.

1. Xylian macrumors member

Hi,
    I've noticed that my DV movies edited in iMovie loose a lot of quality (more noticeable when there are dark images) when exported into iDVD... is there any way to control the quality of the video exported into iDVD, such as when you choose to export using Quick Time? I'm really not satisfied with the quality of the final result of my work :(

2. WayneH1 macrumors member

Have you made sure of your quality settings in iDVD? It should be set to "Professional" to get the better image quality. Of course it will take longer.

The "Share to iDVD" or "Share to the Media browser, large" settings give decent results in a reasonable amount of time. But you an get some improvement exporting via QT to a H.264 file at "best" quality. If you have pictures, using an HD resolution can help them look a bit better also. All these tweaks add significantly to the time it will take iDVD to encode your project to disk.

If you have iMovie 06 HD still around, that does a better job processing DV video. See http://sites.google.com/site/theimovieoutputproject/

3. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much ;-)
    Two more questions for you:
    1) Do you think that the Professional setting within iDVD influences also the quality of the video exported by iMovie into iDVD? I think it influences only the quality of what processes iDVD (menus etc..).. I gave a look directly to the movie exported by iMovie for iDVD and it's quite bad..

2) If I export in H.264, then can I import it into iDVD?

Maybe I should give a look at somethink more professional like Final Cut Express... but I think it should be possible to have a decent quality also with the iLife software...