Impeachment Really?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GermanyChris, Aug 27, 2013.

1. GermanyChris, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/u...-nurture-dreams-of-impeaching-obama.html?_r=0

So I was watching the news while eating breakfast this morning and this popped in.

Congress can have at impeaching the guy when there is a budget balanced or not, and the debt ceiling debate has been dealt with. When we're ready and set for FY 14 which starts in 4 weeks, then you can have your fun with the taxpayer dollars you want to save so badly.

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Remember, this is the same party of people who have tried to repeal the Affordable Care Act (colloquially known as Obamacare) over 40 times knowing their vote is DOA in the Senate and will get vetoed by Obama if it even gets that far. They have the option of actually moving the country forward but with their willful obstructionism, they purposely fail to do anything about it, hence the gridlock in DC.

These people have nothing better to do than fuel the hate their base exudes.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Impeachment as a political tool. Stay classy Republicans .

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

5. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Why are we talking about impeachment and not the FY 14 budget? Why are we talking impeachment and not the debt ceiling? Why are we talking impeachment and not education? Why are we talking impeachment and not taxation? Why are we talking impeachment and not voter rights? I can't think of anything less important than this.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Kind of clear that the current Republicans can not govern.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

*yawn*

Its 3 congressmen, relax.

One of which from the great democrat state of Michigan

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When they talk to their "base" they speak of getting votes, but they say nothing specific about the crime that has been committed. Idiots...

9. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Yes, the Democrats would NEVER stoop to such levels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_impeach_George_W._Bush

ALL of our politicians are scummy at this point. It gets old listening to one side claim the other is dragging us down.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can you really not see the difference between a Democrat filing actual charges vs. what is coming out the Republican's mouth?

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

"Impeachment should apply to those offenses which proceed from the misconduct of public men or, in other words, from the abuse or violation of some public trust. They are of a nature which may with peculiar propriety be denominated political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to society itself." --Hillary Rodham and the staff of the House Judiciary Committee, 1974, quoting from Alexander Hamilton in one of the Federalist Papers.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm fine with this if they want to try to impeach him for the NSA spying, although I highly doubt that is the reason they are wanting to try it, as long as we can file charges against Bush for doing the same things as well.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The sad thing is, both sides fight over stupid ****, but nobody wants to stop real illegal activity in Washington.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You guys never get it, do you?

There are those of you who thought that Sarah Palin had liberals quaking in their boots. After all, Obama's popularity ratings are below 50%... until you consider that Congress ratings are below 15%, which makes the president the most popular person in Washington.

No. Impeach Obama. Bring it on. Please.

[​IMG]

Don't throw us into the briar patch, massa!

And as for the cretins who are now saying both sides are to blame... we all know you voted for Bush, but are trying to avoid mentioning it. Bush plus the 108th and 109th congress: you own it, lock, stock and barrel.

15. malman89 macrumors 68000

For the record, Michigan is pretty close to a 50/50 split, but with a Democrat/Independent lean nationally. Governor is Republican. Senate and House are Republican currently.

It's just some rookie (and old as heck) Congressman trying to get some national attention. Too bad the NYT were so willing to comply.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Both sides are to blame, and no I didn't vote for Bush, partly because I wasn't old enough to vote yet in '04, but I didn't particularly care for him back then either. I did vote for Obama, although he has been a major disappointment. (Note I do still think that Obama was a better option than the Republican candidates in either election, but he still sucks.)

17. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I could get behind impeaching Obama for some of the same war crimes and civil liberties violations I think Bush was guilty of. I think a real case could be made for that.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Anyone who says that — in my book — is politically naive, because you're not acknowledging the drift to the right in the US over the last 30 years. If you're a centrist in America, you're right wing. And if you're 'disappointed' by Obama, doubly so, because:

a) you don't or care not to understand the domestic constraints any US president acts under... or prefer to believe in the Green Lantern theory of presidential power or...

b) you've forgotten or never cared about the tremendous progress across a range of areas that this presidency has achieved so far.​

Anyone who likes to pose as a moderate or a centrist, are the worst of all, because it's little more than a pose, attempting to float above the dirty work of politics as they fight for little. Martin Luther King put it best in a Letter from a Birmingham Jail:

Next time Democrats attempt the sheer level of legislative obstruction and sheer wanton destruction of the idea of good government, I might pay attention to you.

Above all, I'm a pragmatist and a realist. I look at politics and see who did or predicted what, and look at the outcomes. What I see is a party that went into hysterics over Terri Schiavo, did nothing as New Orleans drowned, had the slowest rate of economic growth in decades, watched as the nation was attacked and ignored documented warnings, outed Valerie Plame, used the fear of gay people to drive turnout, led the nation into a unnecessary war that bankrupted the country... capped off by the largest economic collapse for over 80 years while justifying lethal torture, of the kind practised by the most barbaric regimes.

The party that bought you Watergate, Savings and Loans, Enron, illegal sales of weapons to Iran. The party that predicted that saving GM would be a failure. The party that stands in the way of affordable health care to millions. The party that denies science and climate change while caring more about women's bodies and reproductive choices. The party of Palin, Limbaugh and birth certificates.

Yeah, both sides do it. Just try and find me elements of the Democratic party who have as much weight and influence within the party as the nutcases do within the Republican party. And I know you can't. But you'll pretend you can, because you're a milksop conformist who thinks it's weak and despised to be a liberal... but all along, the dirty hippies are, and have been, always right.

It's pathetic how much you guys will strain and reach to seem above it all. That's why I know you're bogus. :rolleyes:

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

George Bush fabricated evidence to start a war that's left thousands of Americans dead and essentially bankrupted this country so he, Cheney, and their cronies could line their pockets through Haliburton.

That's a load of ********. At least the Democrats have tried to do some things. The Republicans have done jack **** in the last 6 years. When Mitch McConnell came out and said "Our top priority for the next 4 years should be to deny Obama a 2nd term", he should have been fired on the spot. The Republicans have done NOTHING but plug their ears and scream NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO like little 4 year old children.

This.

Anyone who says "Obama hasn't done anything" is a clueless moron, lazy, or in denial.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He's done some stuff, I'll give you that, but he's wasted a lot of opportunities also, He had the votes in congress to get real healthcare reform passed and give us single payer healthcare, but instead he wanted to be bipartisan so he went with a Republican plan from the 1990's which while it has done some good overall is not going to be good. He also didn't have to keep up the domestic spying or going after whistleblowers, that had nothing to do with Republican obstructionism. Like I said Obama is better than the alternatives, but he is still way too far to the right.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The impeachment articles from Waxman and Kucinich were about real and serious crimes, including the falsification of information that led to the invasion of Iraq, conduct of the Iraq War, the outing of an active CIA agent, the use of torture, the use of extraordinary rendition to outsource torture to Egypt, the failure to detect terrorists in the United States, and wiretapping without warrants or the FISA court.

These are all "high crimes and misdemeanors" in any sense. On the other hand, the best Republicans can come up with is the attack on Benghazi and the main accusation remains centered around talking points, hardly a crime worthy of impeachment.

The NSA thing is an anchor tied to everyone's neck in Washington, no one's going to touch it. They'll pretend there's a scandal and blame the NSA, but two administration's built and supporting this program and Congress certainly knew about it.

I'd like to think my frustration with the Obama administration is smarter than this, but the Green Lantern theory is probably the best articulation of my frustration. Like watching a great quarterback get mauled because his offensive line can't hold up, I want to blame the president, but that does ignore an important part, the defense is cheating.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

See, this is why I know you're talking nonsense and just posing. There were never 60 votes in the senate for single payer. Never. And the record is all over the web. Here's just one reason:

See, that's why I know you've not being paying attention to what actually happened at the time. You're posing, wanting to sound knowledgeable, wanting to be lefter than thou, but the facts aren't on your side.

Sorry. If you think a sitting president of any kind is going to hand back congressionally-given powers and not enforce the highest levels of federal law, you're utterly naive. What's more, all these people you call 'whistleblowers', happened to have signed oaths of state secrecy. They knew what they were doing and should take the rap.

Congress is where all this originated. But I bet you think Obama should just wave his hand and make things right... and I bet you didn't vote in 2010 and won't vote in 2014...

----------

It's a killer. Deep down, I think a lot of people hanker after an unconstrained monarchy or a benevolent dictator; a big daddy to make the bad things go away... and when they don't, because the American system of government is fiendishly complex and counterbalanced, it's easy to blame the guy at the top, especially when he's black... and a Kenyan usurper to boot. ;)

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's not that I want a benevolent dictator, rather I'm fundamentally surprised how mendacious and ridiculous Congressional Republicans have been and how ineffective Congressional Democrats have been.

I shouldn't be surprised. I should be hard-nosed enough to know this was going to turn into a cluster****, but I still thought we had a chance in 2008 of fixing some of this country's major problems. Now, the problems are worse and the fixes more expensive and yet, we've gained very little ground.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And you would be wrong while I was out of the country in 2010 I did go and make the effort to get an absentee ballot sent out to me so I could vote. Plus I fully intend to vote in 2014 as well. Not that it makes much of a difference since the congressional district I live in is guaranteed to go republican, but I'll still vote anyway.

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

From the same article:

When President George W. Bush was in office, many liberal groups and some Democrats clamored for impeachment proceedings, largely over the Iraq war.​

I'd say "stay classy, Liberals and Democrats" but we all know they aren't.