import home movies on DVD to iDVD or iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhealy1418, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bhealy1418 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Does anyone know of a simple way to upload home movies burned to DVD into my iMac so that I can burn copies? Have quite a few personal videos on DVD that i'd like to import/upload to archive and burn additional copies of, and can't seem to figure it out......

thanks

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Since they're personal DVDs and have no encryption, this is pretty straightforward. If all you want to do is make a copy, open up Disk Utility, click on the DVD, and click New Image. This will save the DVD as an iso image that you can just burn to a new DVD. I'm not sure if iDVD or iMovie can import this type but give it a try. If you want to edit it and the original DVD is in the normal format (VIDEO_TS and (sometimes) AUDIO_TS folders) you should try importing with Handbrake into mp4 format. This will be easy to edit and you can do the import with minimal quality loss.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure if burning the iso to a new DVD will retain movie qualities (playable on DVD player, titles, etc.). Have a look around here or give it a try with one DVD and see if it worked. Burn is a good app for this.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes it does. I've done this many times in the past, back when DVDs were pretty much the only way to distribute movies at decent quality.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Thanks for chiming in. Can the OP simply burn the iso through Finder or did you use something like Burn?

5. bhealy1418 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys....... worked perfectly!

used Disk Utility, copied to my desktop, and burned another DVD. The newly burnt disc plays perfectly on my iMac, as well as my DVD player hooked up to the tv

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear you got it working :)