"Important Information about your iPhone Activation" email. Scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aloecool, Sep 21, 2012.

1. aloecool macrumors regular

Did anyone get an email like this from do_not_reply@apple.com?

Dear Apple Customer,
    Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.
    We're getting ready for the activation of your iPhone. However we have identified a problem with your AT&T account.
    To resolve this issue, please call us at 1-877-284-6834 and reference your Activation ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Thank you for choosing Apple.
    Sincerely,
    The Apple Online Store

-----------------------
    I got a shipping confirmation email from Apple this morning, and the above email was received approx 1hr before the shipping email. I called the # and was on hold on and off for about 1hr, and the rep sounded legit and asked me to verify things like name/address/phone#/carrier. He asked for my order # but I gave him the Activation ID instead. The last thing he told me before putting me on hold again was that they were having trouble adding the line to my account because they needed to do some extensive identity verification and asked if I had my identity stolen before! After that I was on hold for about 15min and I just didn't seem right to be so I hung up.

Am I the only one that got this email?

I'm planning on calling Apple (not the # provided in the email) and/or AT&T to see if there are problems on their end.

Thoughts?

2. Scoop24 macrumors regular

the number is legit do a google search it comes up as apple activation.

3. aloecool thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

1) I called AT&T to verify that everything was fine and up to date w/my account. They said yes, and there's nothing to worry about.

2) I called that 1877 # again, and this time was able to speak to a rep almost right away. He said the reason why I got the email was because Apple wasn't able to establish a data rate plan for the new #/line (sounds odd since I clearly picked a plan when I ordered, and when I log in to my account on apple it shows a rate plan w/the order). He said there's nothing I need to do at this point, and if I have problems activating the phone once I get it to give them a call again.

4. dckcentaur macrumors member

i had same call the only thing he asked for was the Reference number. I told him my phone is working and I called at&t to activate and he said ok you are all set. I think if they were scamming he would of asked for something other then the reference number they sent me. Unless they are trying to verify if people are getting emails for a future scam.

5. bova80 macrumors 6502a

Did you do an upgrade swap? Seems to stem from that.

6. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I got the same email and the issue was with my data plan. Apparently apple didn't activate your data plan correctly (unlimited in my case) and AT&T turned data off. I called AT&T and they can't add the unlimited plan back on because its not in their system. So they put on a 3GB plan and opened and escalation ticket to get it added back on.