Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zanuda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
Hi,
May I ask someone to help me with this problem? No kidding, I've spent a good hour looking for a reasonable guide online, but every single one I have found lacks something... and I would like to understand clearly what I am going to do.
So, what I have:
iPhone X with iOS 13.6, no problems with it.
What I want to do:
1. Create a new Apple ID for it using a new icloud mailbox.
2. Reset the phone.
3. Have my contacts kept or transferred to a new Apple ID.
As far as I understand, I can reset the phone, then, while setting it up, create both a new ID and a new .icloud mailbox associated with a new ID.
Also, as far as I understand (correct me if I am wrong), I can't import my contacts into a new ID from a backup associated with an old ID.
How can I save/import/transfer my current contacts into a totally new Apple ID on the same phone?

Thank you.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Hi,
May I ask someone to help me with this problem? No kidding, I've spent a good hour looking for a reasonable guide online, but every single one I have found lacks something... and I would like to understand clearly what I am going to do.
So, what I have:
iPhone X with iOS 13.6, no problems with it.
What I want to do:
1. Create a new Apple ID for it using a new icloud mailbox.
2. Reset the phone.
3. Have my contacts kept or transferred to a new Apple ID.
As far as I understand, I can reset the phone, then, while setting it up, create both a new ID and a new .icloud mailbox associated with a new ID.
Also, as far as I understand (correct me if I am wrong), I can't import my contacts into a new ID from a backup associated with an old ID.
How can I save/import/transfer my current contacts into a totally new Apple ID on the same phone?

Thank you.

I have not fully tested this but ............

do it via icloud.com

Select all your contacts and export them to .vcf

Do the reverse in your new account in icloud.com

Be interesting to know if it works and maps all the fields correctly once you do the import

Hope that helps

Zanuda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
It will work. But I question the reason the OP wants to create a new Apple ID as that usually leads to trouble and confusion down the line.
That's another painful story :)
I want to replace my hotmail address in my current ID with an .icloud address. I do not have an icloud mailbox yet and after trying to set it up in a half a dozen of different ways I failed. The only option I have not tried yet is resetting the phone and creating a new ID with a new .cloud box from the very beginning. And yes, I've contacted Apple support and no, it can't help.
Thanks for advice!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.