Importing FULL HD video from iMovie 09" onto Toast 10 for BD burning

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ildondeigiocchi, May 31, 2009.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok guys so here's the issue. I usually don't post in this section of macrumors but this time I really need advice with my new Sony HDR-XR520V. It's been four years since my last camcorder purchase and I finally decided I needed a HD camcorder to record all my family vacations and other memories in the highest quality possible. I also bought myself a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1. I must say that I am very pleased with both. The picture and movie quality is truly fantastic with both. I also bought a Wide Angle Conversion lens and a shotgun microphone for the Camcorder. Everything works fine on both. Importing pictures and movies onto iPhoto 09' and iMovie 09' worked great. Now my only issue is this. I love iMovie because of its simplicity of use and great effects and I have bought Toast 10 Titanium and a Bluray drive to burn my movies in full HD. My question is the following: How can I get my movies in FULL HD (1920 by 1080i) from iMovie onto Toast 10 Titanium Pro. I really want my videos to stay at Full HD resolution and nothing less. Ok guys, I fully trust that you have valuable advice. Please help:)

Any ideas guys?

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I am surprised no one has posted yet so here is my answer :

after you have the video all edited click the Share button on top then select export using quicktime ( assuming you have quicktime pro ) then you should export it in h.264 set the resolution to 1920x1080 and the bit rate to 20Mbits/s ( 20,000Kbits/s) and set the sound to pcm or some other high quality format and wait.... and wait... lol then you will be left with a very very large file. then open up toast and go to the BD mode and drag and drop the files into the toast program and click burn it will automatically re encode the video again for BD players and burn it in full 1080p at the best bit rate bluray supports :)

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Be careful with Toast. You will get burned by the export settings. Oddly enough, it sucks at encoding progressive stuff and text looks horrible after the transcode. I make BD-Rs for the Film department at my university and I could not use the program because the quality was so terrible, i had to go with Encore.

4. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I think I'll be alright since my camera does not record in Progressive but rather in Interlaced since it records at 1920 by 1080i. Also will Quicktime Pro make things run faster. I don't have the pro version and realized it takes forever to export a movie onto quicktime. Anyways guys thanks for all your advice. You've been a great help.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

it will in fact NOT make anything go faster that is limited by your hardware (ie your cpu )