Importing google contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by P51, Aug 6, 2012.

1. P51 macrumors regular

I use to have an android phone, so all my contacts phone numbers were saved on to the google server. Well before I just synced it through exchange to get them on my iPhone. Now I'm having a problem with my iPhone always looking for mail even though I have it turned off

If I delete my exchange account how else can I get all my phone numbers outside of manually entering all of them.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

do you have a mac? If so, sync your google contacts to your contacts on the mac and then sync that with the cloud.

3. P51 thread starter macrumors regular

No mac

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

can't you just sync your gmail account, sync with the cloud, then delete the mail account? Try that and just make sure they are on the cloud by going to www.icloud.com

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

How did you come to the conclusion that the iPhone is "always looking for mail" on the Gmail account?

6. P51 thread starter macrumors regular

I get mail alerts with push off and it set to manual. I'll be surfing the web and it will alert me of new mail sometimes.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Oh...I thought you meant mail was off in your Gmail/exchange settings when you wrote "I have it turned off".

Well, I've never set up a GMail with exchange and push "off" because, well, that's the whole point. Maybe if you actually do turn mail off in the exchange settings, then add the GMail account as GMail then the push "off" and "Manually" would work...but I don't know.

If Mail notifications are your problem then turn them off instead.

8. takeshi74, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Do you not need the Google account? It sounds like you just don't know how to adjust your settings properly. What, exactly, are you trying to turn off?

If you want to turn off mail for that account then go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars, select the account, and turn Mail off.

If you want to receive mail but don't want the notifications/alerts then go to sounds and set Mail to None and/or go to Notifications and adjust the notification settings for Mail.

If you want to pull instead of having gmail pushed then make sure you're adjusting settings at both Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data and Settings->Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data->Advanced->(your gmail account).

You don't have to remove the account if you want the contacts synced from the account and syncing with the account (or another account with the contacts you want transferred to that account) is really the best way to have the contacts on your device. Otherwise if you lose your device you lose your contacts stored only on the device.

Nope. Contacts synced from Google are only synced with Google. They don't sync with iCloud as well. If you remove the Google account it removes the Google contacts. For what you're describing the contacts would have to be migrated to iCloud.

The point is always subjective. My wife used Google contacts but didn't use gmail for years. Don't just assume that your preferences and situation are universal no matter what the topic.

9. P51 thread starter macrumors regular

I need my Gmail + phone contacts. What I'm hoping to do is take the contacts off of Google and put on phone and then make my Gmail, Gmail not exchange.

Yes I want my mail to only be pull, but its currently pushing (even though its set as pull)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. DefBref macrumors 6502

Turn mail off on the exchange account, but leave contacts on. Add your gmail as gmail with only mail enabled. That should achieve what you want.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is what i mean...move them to the cloud then delete the google account

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Good for her! Now what was I assuming?

-----

All misunderstanding aside, I think the OP has enough info to do what he needs to do, if he doesn't change his mind about what he wants to do.

Frankly, I'm thinking it would be a bad idea for the OP to use Gmail for email and put his contacts in iCloud. I guess you'd be OK on the iPhone and on a Mac with Lion or ML, but both web interfaces would be sorely lacking!

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Easy.

Enable your GoogleSync account through iOS to first "import" your contacts, calendars, ect:

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Then, once this is done, remove your Google account, but when you do, make sure you keep and do not delete any items you want to import: contacts, calendars, ect. Your contacts and calendars will remain on your phone. You are now able to set up an iCloud account, or just sync manually through your computer or other account. When presented with the option, merge them to the new option you just chose, and they will be imported.