Impossible to read any film DVD with DVD player or VLC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sampinel, Nov 13, 2008.

1. sampinel macrumors newbie

I just got the new Macbook Pro 15'' unibody aluminium with 2.53ghz and 4gig RAM with last OS and features. I tried a film DVD in and surprise, no programs is preinstalled to read DVDs. I was able to get Mac DVD player from MAC OS X Install DVD using Pacifist. It ask me to give the Region Code which is Region 1 (so are all the DVDs I tried in the drive). I click "set the drive region" and here comes the message :

There Was A Problem Changing The Drive Region Code
    ERROR: -70001

So, I tried VLC media player. Opening disk just don't do nothing. Opening VIDEO_TS file is the same.

I looked on many forums and find the idea of repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility. It didn't work...

It's brand new and Im so pissed. It is only a software problem I guess... Would it be necessary to erase disk and reinstall Mac OS X?

Thanks for you help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not so fast. Region codes are a hardware issue. You may change the region code of a DVD player or a DVD drive several times, but the number of changes allowed is finite. Five (5) is the number that comes to mind.

Quite frankly you are wasting your time posting here. If you bought a defective computer, then it is still under warranty. Apple will repair it at no additional cost to you. If as I suspect you damaged your computer, then you are still wasting you time. There is no upside to a novice owner trying to repair his new computer. Take it back to Apple and keep you mouth shut.

3. sampinel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah got it

Well, your right but I tried a last thing. I completely erase my HD and reinstall MAC OS X, and DVD player installed correctly without use of Pacifist and now I can read any DVD region 1 !!

YEAH! Im really happy...sorry. Bye, thanks a lot.