Impossible to switch from black to white after it arrives?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dndandrea, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

After watching videos and seeing the pictures from these reviews i'm really digging the white iphone 5 more than I expected. I really like the iphone 4 white but didn't think i'd like the new iphone 5 in white. The black just looks so boring and nothing really stands out on it, plus it shows fingerprints and scratches all over.

I assume if you don't open the box you can exchange the iphone for a different color correct? My problem is how big is that window of freedom you have before it's too late? I know apple fans will be camping out in front of apple stores for months getting them as soon as they get stock. There's no way for me to exchange if they don't have them.

Or can i return it to the store and reorder online? I assume this will take a month or 2 as well but it'll be a guaranteed result?

Any advice would be nice, it's not a huge deal but if i can exchange it that'd be really nice!

2. bumblehat macrumors regular

you might be able to return and get a new one, or find someone online willing to trade or something. but obviously, this will cause a delay since the initial stock has been depleted.

if you open it/do anything with it, your chances of exchanging become pretty much zero.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You did not say where you ordered it from, but ATT has no restocking fee if unopened when you return.

You then order a new one. Cancel. They order.

4. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

yes you can exchange or return, BUT just know you will have to pay a $35 restocking fee.

5. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered it from Apple. There's a restocking fee even if it's not opened?

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to return/exchange. I know its possible but with all the expected customer traffic and demand where should i go to do this? In-store? Online? I'm figuring that if i return it to the store friday and re-order a white one online that it'll be about a month to receive it if im lucky.

If this is the case i'll just keep the black one.

6. blunti macrumors 6502a

to me it seems like you're already dead set on that white. I can understand that . :)

You should have no problems getting it swapped out this weekend at an Apple store. IMO.

7. WesCole macrumors 6502a

You might not be able to return it...

They always say, "Once you go black, you never go back." :)

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

The official Apple retail policy is not to accept a return for a mail ordered iPhone. It is the same for all carriers, you are expected to return it to the place of purchase.

There is no return fee from Apple retail or mail order as long as you return everything in "like new" condition.

Dave

9. M3NACING macrumors newbie

From my experience last year when I pre-ordered the black iPhone 4s through Apple online, I was not able to exchange or return it for a white one at the store. I purposely didn't open the box so I wouldn't have any problems exchanging it. I was advised at the store that since I purchased that iPhone online and not at the store, I'd have to send it back through mail. So after trying 2 different apple stores and getting the same story, I just decided to send it back and wait for the white iPhone to become available at my local apple store (which took a while). Hopefully they changed that policy this year. I learned my lesson and pre-ordered the correct color this year which is black.:)

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Apple has a 30 calendar day return policy on iPhones. If you're lucky, your local Apple store will have white stock by Oct 21. I'd say it's likely.

From Apple:

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store:*

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.*
    Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either through the Apple Online Store or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
    Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.

Also, there's no restocking fee.

11. emaja macrumors 68000

I am pretty sure that if you walk into an Apple store that they will let you exchange it - as long as it is unopened of course.

I am planning on exchanging my 16GB black for a 32GB, so I hope it works for us both.

12. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I exchanged my lte iPad that I bought through apple online last year in store. However, apple.com states in there return policies that iPhones bought on apple.com must be returned to there. My guess is to control stock and make sure units are being distributed evenly.

13. D33170 macrumors newbie

If I preordered a white i5 via Verizon website, but want to exchange for a black i5 instead, can I go to an Apple store to exchange it or is mandatory for me to swap it at a Verizon store?

14. Swerthy macrumors member

You'll have to exchange it through Verizon.