Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I decided to perform what I call an "efficiency" test on my 7-month old iPhone 6s running the latest beta of iOS 10.1.

I managed to get an incredible 12 hours 40 minutes of usage and 32 hours 56 minutes of standby time. In comparison, my previous record was 9 hours 32 minutes of usage.

Stopped charging on Thursday at 7AM. Haven't charged yet as the time this thread is posted (Friday at 4PM).

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

This is what I did to get this much:

• Restored from backup on 9.3.5, updated to iOS 10.1 beta 1 and then to 10.1 beta 2.
• Reset all Settings on iOS 10.1 beta 2.
• Low Power Mode the entire time.
• Decreased usage of social media (Instagram, Snapchat, etc.)
• Increased usage of Reddit and other apps such as Safari.
• Same texting habits (mainly Messages, GroupMe and Telegram).
• Strong cellular reception the entire time, Wi-Fi 90% of the time.
• Little navigation.
• Airplane Mode while sleeping (10 hours).
---Airplane Mode stealth test: 3% decrease over this time in Airplane Mode.
• Brightness 25-40% the entire time.
• 2-3 hours of music playback.
• Apple Watch always connected.
• Background App Refresh turned off, Mail refresh turned off.
• All Location Services turned off except Navigation, Weather and Find my iPhone.

It's always important to note that usage does not equal screen on time. Of the almost 13 hours of usage, I had the screen on around 7-8 hours.

So if you guys want great battery life, you can get it if you really want to, as long as your battery itself is healthy.

Cheers!

Last edited:

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
That's super impressive! It's great what you can get out of them when you really try!

Reactions: vertsix

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
This is awesome. I have ran many similar tests on prior builds of iOS10 and they have been abysmal compared to iOS10.1 beta 2 on battery life. Nice to see it wasn't just a coincidence.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Good news indeed. However what i'm personally expecting minimum is the same battery life when using ios9 on normal use.

Last edited:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I bet the decreased usage of social media helped a lot though xD still decent!

Yeah, I sometimes end up obsessively checking social media which just kills battery. I managed to force myself (with a lot of effort) to check it less and do more productive stuff instead.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, I agree that the battery life is really good in 10.1 beta. For others reference, this is what happened on my 6+.

All LTE, Wi-Fi, BT (paired Apple Watch), location service always on. Normal use, auto brightness, use Facebook apps but not via Safari, Reduced motion Off. No auto update, only few apps that I need notification allow background app refresh. AirDrop off except when I need it. No heavy 3D gaming. Only goes into low power mode when the 20% low battery notification appear.

So, this is more like normal usage, but not like OP's "longest battery life challenge mode". However, it's still definitely enough for one day use.
IMG_1282.PNG

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm on iOS 10.0.2 and the battery life is terrible!

I never use 10.0.2, can't comment on it. I jump from 10.0.1 GM to 10.1 beta. And both me and my wife can feel the difference on battery life. 10.0.1 for us is normal, and 10.1 is great.

If you have 6S(+), make sure you disable wake on rise. My wife found that draw lots of battery in 10.0.1 GM on her 6s+.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I never use 10.0.2, can't comment on it. I jump from 10.0.1 GM to 10.1 beta. And both me and my wife can feel the difference on battery life. 10.0.1 for us is normal, and 10.1 is great.

If you have 6S(+), make sure you disable wake on rise. My wife found that draw lots of battery in 10.0.1 GM on her 6s+.

I've tried disabling raise to wake and, honestly, it didn't do much. I was one iOS 10.0.1 at one point. 10.0.2 feels the same.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
What apps you used

Safari, Facebook, Photos, WhatsApp, Messages, Facebook Messenger (few more similar apps), some apps check bus / train / flight status, Hue, HomeKit, WebCam monitoring apps, my LG TV remote apps, Remote Pro (virtual keyboard, track pad for my Mac), eClass (my kid's school apps), Kickstarter, Indiegogo, mobile banking, Notes, Reminder (location base alert), VPN Master, MyObservatory (Hong Kong local weather apps), Calculator, Maps / Google maps, email, Calendar...

So, nothing really power hog, but more like general use.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i feel these comparisons are abit useless. lets check the first post and the first image. does it indicates the screen on time or just playing music on background? or what?

screen on time vs background? and the ratio?
wifi vs mobile? (strenght?)
etc etc etc

as much as i have tried to make any sense to the battery info and compare it to the last version of ios - i cant.

Reactions: Nisaja

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
i feel these comparisons are abit useless. lets check the first post and the first image. does it indicates the screen on time or just playing music on background? or what?

screen on time vs background? and the ratio?
wifi vs mobile? (strenght?)
etc etc etc

as much as i have tried to make any sense to the battery info and compare it to the last version of ios - i cant.

Since the Battery Usage statistics on iOS are very uninformative (at least compared to those on Android), I made estimates and specified what I did to get those results. Read the post carefully.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since the Battery Usage statistics on iOS are very uninformative (at least compared to those on Android), I made estimates and specified what I did to get those results. Read the post carefully.
So basically just not as informative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.