Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
So like many I've had problems with battery life on the 4S. My issues got a bit better when following a method of restoring that someone else posted. This was when I was on 5.0. After that, I got about 5.5-6hrs usage.

When 5.0.1 came out, I immediately noticed a drop in battery life. I would get about 4.5, and over the next few weeks that degraded to about 3.8hrs.

I just tried the method I used before on a fresh install of 5.0.1, full file not OTA, and my battery is doing much better. Yesterday I got 5.75hrs battery, and today I have 50mins usage 5 hrs standby and am at 91%.

The method was to
1) Back up phone to computer
2) Restore in itunes
3) When the restore from backup screen shows up in iTunes, and with the phone still connected, go through the setup process on the phone itself, selecting "Set up as new iPhone"
4) Restore from backup in iTunes (click "Next", you should be on the restore screen still on your computer)

Doing it this way, for whatever reason, has resulted in much better battery life for me, now 2 cycles in. Not sure if the OTA update caused some issues or what, but so far so good.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
i've done this twice and my phone is still having eh battery life. Wish i could hit 6 hrs usage just once, never break 5

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Ok there's a bug with the software. There's no "trick" on how to restore a certain way, and even if it does "work" and you get what you say is "better battery life", the chances it works for every single person is doubtful.

Plus that is a huge work around especially when 5.1 will be out hopefully pretty soon.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I manage to get an average of 8 hours usage and 14 hours standby on my phone, and that's just bringing it down to 20%. I always have enough juice to make it through the day, unless I'm watching movies or playing games. It's a wonderful battery capacity.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
For those having issues, you have nothing to lose by trying this method.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
did this with 2 4s, about to be on my third. I get 3-4 hours usage, well see if I can get one with out a crazy camera rattle, and decent battery life on my 3rd try.

Still really like the phone, just wish it didnt drain 10% after sending 5 texts with full bars.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As Posted

Many workarounds, disable this disable that have been posted and tried. The only thing that marginally improved my battery life was to do a re-calibration. I now have enough confidence in my 4S that I don't carry my 4 around with me too.

Ipads do not suffer from this issue, as also posted it's a software issue, and I am confident that Apple will fix it in the next update.

Until then, by all means try the various so called solutions some might help. I'm waiting for the update myself. It's a great phone , and it will be fixed.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Many workarounds, disable this disable that have been posted and tried. The only thing that marginally improved my battery life was to do a re-calibration. I now have enough confidence in my 4S that I don't carry my 4 around with me too.

Ipads do not suffer from this issue, as also posted it's a software issue, and I am confident that Apple will fix it in the next update.

Until then, by all means try the various so called solutions some might help. I'm waiting for the update myself. It's a great phone , and it will be fixed.

How do you do a re-calibration?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm at 82% after 1hr 16m usage and 8+ hrs standby. Hoping that this is a good sign.

ramsescabello

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm at 82% after 1hr 16m usage and 8+ hrs standby. Hoping that this is a good sign.

I think that's ok, right now this is how my iPhone is performing:

rshqnk.png

I think the max i've got is like 7h usage and 13h standby or something like this. I am very happy with my iPhone 4S battery performance. Coming from a 3GS I can't complain.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I actually did something similar to this after 5.01 and I was pleasantly surprised that it worked. All unneeded options (iCloud, Time, etc) were turned off. First them I actually used a phone during the day and use it again the next day without charging it while I was sleeping. This is what I got for several weeks.

ibattery712_2jpg.jpg

However, the love story didn't last forever. About 3 weeks later, I downloaded and started playing Infinity Blade 2. It's a big app! Anyway, when you close out of it, it's still running in the background and it's requiring a lot of power from the battery. It was going down like crazy. I figured out bringing up the "task bar" and proceeded to delete all tasks hoping it would work. And it did! I didn't touch my WiFi, BT, or push - all still on. It's been like for the past several days, hopefully it stays.

ibattery712_1.jpg

I could've gotten more usage but I was too busy, basing this on the usage time. Almost lasted through 2 nights.

Pelech

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Battery

Is this battery life good? Doesn't seem to good to me

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    114.8 KB · Views: 54

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
So what can I do to fix this? It's annoying I have a buddy of mine who easily gets 2 days out of his

Hope you don't interpret this as schadenfreude, but I normally get 2 days (or sometimes longer) out of mine on light to moderate use. I just had the phone replaced yesterday, and the new battery seems to be about the same as the old one. Based on my experience, I would say two days is normal, or a day with heavy use. I do however have push notifications and many (but not all) location services turned off.

Based on my expectations before buying, I was expecting a day between charges. While I do have some grumbles with the iPhone, battery life has never been one of them. Sorry for all you guys having trouble on this front.

Pelech

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Hope you don't interpret this as schadenfreude, but I normally get 2 days (or sometimes longer) out of mine on light to moderate use. I just had the phone replaced yesterday, and the new battery seems to be about the same as the old one. Based on my experience, I would say two days is normal, or a day with heavy use. I do however have push notifications and many (but not all) location services turned off.

Based on my expectations before buying, I was expecting a day between charges. While I do have some grumbles with the iPhone, battery life has never been one of them. Sorry for all you guys having trouble on this front.

well i guess i use mine pretty heavy then lol

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah when people say light moderate use, they aren't using their phones much.

I have gotten the 5 hour usage, 1 day standby but mostly when I'm out somewhere and not using my phone much. Today I at 3 hours usage, 6 hour standby and I've been tweeting all day.

Only way to get insane good battery stats is literally not be using your phone. Maybe 10-15 text an hour, no phone calls, foursquare check in where ever you are and a quick google every couple hours.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Yeah when people say light moderate use, they aren't using their phones much.

Perhaps. For clarity, I get 2 days from daily use of several texts, a couple of short calls, 15 minutes of gaming, a couple of pages of browsing and 3-4 photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.