Improper alphabetisation in iTunes 7.3

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Previously, iTunes would order titles beginning with 'A' at the beginning of a selection, as would be expected. Since iTunes 7.3, however, the 'A' is disregarded when titles are sorted alphabetically, in much the same way as 'The'.

I can't understand how this came about: there's no precedent to disregard the 'A', and it's simply incorrect to do so. Is anyone else frustrated by this?

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I can't understand how this came about: there's no precedent to disregard the 'A', and it's simply incorrect to do so. Is anyone else frustrated by this?
Frustrating indeed. I think it can be fixed though by going into the songs' Sorting tab and in the right column somewhere will be the name with the 'A' ommitted. Put the A back in and I would believe it would work fine.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
NorCal
I don't like the new numbers thing either. I'm just used to the other way, plus it's incorrect.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Numbers are also being put at the bottom of the list, while they used to be at the top. Strange...
Yep, that's another annoyance - symbols and numerals should always precede letters when sorting alphabetically.

Frustrating indeed. I think it can be fixed though by going into the songs' Sorting tab and in the right column somewhere will be the name with the 'A' ommitted. Put the A back in and I would believe it would work fine.
Thanks for the tip. That would be a viable solution if you could change the Sort Album field on multiple items, but the sorting options have to be edited on a song-by-song basis.

As an aside, I've always wanted to order my albums chronologically, as they are on my shelf, and the Sort Album field would facilitate that. Again, though, having to make the change to each song, rather than each album, makes that a non-starter.

ste6168

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2007
As an aside, I've always wanted to order my albums chronologically, as they are on my shelf, and the Sort Album field would facilitate that. Again, though, having to make the change to each song, rather than each album, makes that a non-starter.
One way you could get away with that is put the years in for all of your albums and then sort by year, instead of artist, album, etc...

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
One way you could get away with that is put the years in for all of your albums and then sort by year, instead of artist, album, etc...
That wouldn't work in the browser, unfortunately. What I really need is a script that would transfer the data in the Year field to the Sort Album field.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I'm not at my iTunes library at the moment, but I seem to remember Album by Year being the third or so choice when clicking on the Album column heading.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
I'm not at my iTunes library at the moment, but I seem to remember Album by Year being the third or so choice when clicking on the Album column heading.
Yep, but it still doesn't change the way that albums are ordered in the right-hand browser window. :(

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
You could use the shadow sort name in the info dialog to make changes to specific albums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Long shot maybe, but anyone checked if they fixed this in the new 7.3.2 update?
nah, 1200 Techniques are still at the bottom, and A Perfect Circle are still above Pink Floyd.

EDIT: On my 1st Gen iPod, Les Claypool's Frog Brigade is among the 'C's, while on iTunes and my 5th Gen, it's in the 'L's. Hrmm...

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
nah, 1200 Techniques are still at the bottom, and A Perfect Circle are still above Pink Floyd.

EDIT: On my 1st Gen iPod, Les Claypool's Frog Brigade is among the 'C's, while on iTunes and my 5th Gen, it's in the 'L's. Hrmm...

Why would "perfect circle" not come before "pink floyd", whether or not the "A" is used for alphabetization? Or should Pink Floyd be under the Fs? (And Meat Loaf under the Ls)

By the way, Les is french for "the" so it may be assuming the name of the band is french for "The claypools' frog brigade"

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
select info on a track, then "sorting". You'll see a place where you can change the name itunes uses to sort the track, without changing the artist's name. (if i recall, you can do this for the album, track name, artist name, and some other info)
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, that change would still need to be made on a song-by-song basis, or else by changing one song and then using the Apply Sort Field command to change the rest of the songs on the album. That's a lot of clicks over 1000+ albums.

Long shot maybe, but anyone checked if they fixed this in the new 7.3.2 update?
Disappointingly, Apple seem to regard the new sorting order as a feature, rather than a bug.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Why would "perfect circle" not come before "pink floyd", whether or not the "A" is used for alphabetization? Or should Pink Floyd be under the Fs? (And Meat Loaf under the Ls)
i meant A Perfect Circle is higher in the list than Pink Floyd ie you scroll down from APC to see Pink Floyd

dingmah

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2006
AB
Number artists being sorted at the END of the alphabet is annoying. The rest of OS X & XP sorts numbers before the alphabet, so I have no idea why they would randomly change it in the latest iTunes update.

If anyone finds a way to revert the artist sorting back to like it was before, please post!