Improvements on High Sierra.

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Retromac2008, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Have you got improvements on your mac with High sierra VS Sierra ?

1. Yes, ill write my specs and gains

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Retromac2008 macrumors regular

Retromac2008

I updated many macs and i m not here to talk about problems.

The only thing i noticed is that <I had no improvements at all> with all of em.

Have you got improvements on your mac with High sierra VS Sierra ?

- If Yes pls write your specs and your gains

2. DanielDD macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro 2016 non touch bar

Most improvements were in animation smoothness throughout the system. Zooming windows is now smooth no matter what, even when the contents are actively being drawn on the screen.

Safari feels smoother due to the new scrolling behaviour.

That is basically it

3. jgbr macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I'm not really that sure what HS brings. This continual yearly release seems to mean each release is just 'meh'. 2017 topspec 15inch MBP.

4. bo217 macrumors newbie

bo217

2013 late rMBP.

Interestingly, I only notice improvement when transparency function is on. Otherwise, slightly slower than Sierra.

5. cynics macrumors G4

2013 iMac i5 3.4ghz 24gb RAM 1tb HDD

First its still early for me to give a realistic opinion. However after a fresh boot and having a HDD I would notice apps bounce for a while in the dock than stop and eventually the app would open. Now they bounce once or not at all and open MUCH near immediately. Not SSD speeds but better than what I thought MacOS with an HDD was capable of. I would compare it to a light weight Linux distro when it comes specifically to opening programs.

I don't think so but this could be a placebo or maybe there was something wrong with my Sierra install. Regardless with my above specs I'm currently pleased with performance.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

High Sierra on an SSD is equivalent to the speed of SL on a spinner. It took a while but macOS 10.13 has finally expired the SSD advantage,

7. Retromac2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Retromac2008

lol, i hope this is pure irony :)

i don t have improvements at all, but neither problems. seems as fast as sierra

8. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Just used a 15 inch 2009 MacBook Pro with SL to test your theory. The MacBook Pro 2016 with High Sierra consistently opens native apps quicker than the MacBook Pro 2009. Both have SSDs

Tested Safari, Calendar, Contacts, Chrome, iTunes, Preview (200 page document), App Store

9. Retromac2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Retromac2008

this doesn t prove it

(btw i think he exaggerated too)

10. nordique, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

nordique macrumors 65816

Yes.

Just got High Sierra yesterday, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (i5 dual core, non retina) with 16GB Ram and 500GB SSD

Might be how high sierra is with ssd's but I immediately noticed a speed increase or general smoothness to the general UI...nothing lags or stutters anymore. everything is super fast! and smooth

I am loving high sierra so far!

Btw I skipped Sierra; I upgraded from El Capitain and Mavericks before this.

Added bonus: High Sierra gave me an extra 20GB of space!

11. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Biggest improvement:

Sierra: Doesn't understand what the hell HEIC/HEIF/HEVC files are.
    High Sierra: Loves these files.

This is important because my iPhone 7 Plus outputs these file formats.

Amount of improvement is infinity, since the performance of Sierra's Quicktime with HEVC and Preview, etc. with HEIF was exactly 0.

12. Retromac2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Retromac2008

13. GuilleA macrumors regular

GuilleA

Well, HEVC is rather new, difficult to edit and most of the time, when you transfer photos and videos from your iPhone to your Mac they're automatically converted so you can actually use them (you can change this btw).

I guess HEVC/HEIF will be much more useful once hardware accelerated compression is more mainstream. Right now only the latest CPUs have hardware assisted decode (not sure about encode).

14. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Conversion degrades quality. Also, you don’t absolutely need hardware decode for HEIF based photos and Live Photos, although it helps.

HEVC 4K video is a different story though.

15. croco_dile macrumors regular

UI much smoother when using external 4K display, on my 2017 MBP 13" with TB. It used to shutter abit when using things such as mission control, now butter smooth!!!

16. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I don't like the new font

Also, high sierra messed up the icon transparancy when using standard sizes such as 16x16 or 32x32. I have a non hi-dpi display on a Mac Pro 5,1.

17. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

My comment ONLY applicable AFTER the supplemental update.

The system UI (including Safari scrolling etc) is super smooth, even when the CPU stressed. I suspect the animation now is handled by GPU (Metal 2), even on a dGPU only system (e.g. my Mac Pro 5,1 with R9 380).

APFS of course can be an improvement especially on large file duplication.

18. JoSch macrumors 6502

What else?

19. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Comparing a 2009 model to a 2016 model. Then because the 2016 model is faster, which means HS on SSD is faster than SL on HDD?

The 2016 computer itself is much faster in every single aspect. It's not a controlled comparison between "SL on HDD" and "HS on SSD".

IMO, to make it comparable, we need something like a single machine (e.g. a Mac Pro 5,1). 2 hard drives (a SATA HDD and a SATA SSD). SL on a HDD, HS on a SSD. Plug both hard drives into the native SATA port.

So now, the machine in both tests are identical (apart from booting from different OS via HDD / SSD) in everything single part (including the connection type, SATA in this case). The only difference is SL on HDD, or HS on SSD.

20. JoSch macrumors 6502

But where are RetroMac2008's benchmarks and setups, which prove that he had "i don t have improvements at all, but neither problems. seems as fast as sierra"?

21. lexvo macrumors 65816

2011 iMac 8GB

Upgraded to High Sierra a few days ago. It is running smooth, but so was Sierra. So I guess no improvements for me (apart from new functionality of course).

22. Retromac2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Retromac2008

today i used on the same mac without SSD

- Mountain lion
    - Mavericks
    - High Sierra

it takes the same time to open the same programs and files

boot time is slower on High sierra (the only difference i saw)