Improving security for iPhone etc.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DIABLOW, Nov 23, 2011.

1. DIABLOW, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

DIABLOW macrumors member

For security reasons please make the next iPhone iPad and iPod software so that the the iPhone iPad and iPod cannot be turned off without entering the passcode. This will prevent a thief who has stolen the phone from turning it off and escaping detection. At present the phone can just be turned off by anybody without using a passcode.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Wonderful, this isn't Apple, you should go to their site and submit this.

3. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

4. Pedro Julio, Nov 23, 2011

Pedro Julio macrumors member

Godalmighty.....I feel dumber for having read that post. Like the written equivalent of huffing glue.

We really need a :facepalm: emoticon.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

If you can explain how this would be possible, I would love to hear it.

An iPhone runs on something called a battery. Once the battery depletes, the phone turns off. And there are many other holes in your theory.

6. Caliber26, Nov 23, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Yes, it runs on battery, but even if that battery is only half-charged you still have ~100 hours of sleep time, which gives you about four whole days to track your device.

If you're mugged or leave your device somewhere and whoever took your device immediately turns it off, you'll be SOL by the time you get to another device to access iCloud's Find My iPhone/iPad. Disabling the power-off function from the button, while the phone is locked, is definitely an advantage since it buys you time to track it.

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

WTH? The OP made their point and I understood what they're saying without a problem. I'm quite sure they typed the post to the best of their ability. Posts like yours contribute nothing and it's that sort of personal criticism that leads to bullying. For all you know, this person could be foreign and has recently began learning English. Chill out.

8. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

WTH? The OP made their point and I understood what they're saying without a problem. I'm quite sure they typed the post to the best of their ability. Posts like mine contribute a sense of humor and it's that sort of creative thinking that leads to laughing. For all you know, I wasn't being critical, and I wasn't aware that I was freaking out... maybe you need to chill out.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

And i'm sure him posting on macrumors will get Apple on the solution right away.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If i understand the OP correctly, he is asking for Apple to require a passcode to turn off the device.

Sounds like a good option.

11. DIABLOW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your understanding.

----------

Thanks for your understanding.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What about a separate auxiliary battery for a low power receiver which passively awaits a signal from the owner to "find my iPhone", upon which, it turns the phone on (but not the screen) and silently updates the location via cellular or wifi.

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

They'll just smash it up. Stamp on it and throw it into a wall and watch it explode. What it needs is to switch off but remain on. Give the appearance it's off. Let the tracking run in the background. Just make it only run if pass code is activated and it's good to go.

14. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

...you just don't get it do you :rolleyes:

15. iJOHNBR0 macrumors newbie