Improving security for iPhone etc.

DIABLOW

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
For security reasons please make the next iPhone iPad and iPod software so that the the iPhone iPad and iPod cannot be turned off without entering the passcode. This will prevent a thief who has stolen the phone from turning it off and escaping detection. At present the phone can just be turned off by anybody without using a passcode.

Last edited:

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
To apple! For security reason Please make the next iPhone iPad and iPod softwere cannot turn off the iPhone iPad and iPod with out unlocked the passcode lock. So if the iPhone iPad iPod got stollen the Thief cannot turn off the iPhone. And I can trace the iPhone location.
If you can explain how this would be possible, I would love to hear it.

An iPhone runs on something called a battery. Once the battery depletes, the phone turns off. And there are many other holes in your theory.

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
If you can explain how this would be possible, I would love to hear it.

An iPhone runs on something called a battery. Once the battery depletes, the phone turns off. And there are many other holes in your theory.
Yes, it runs on battery, but even if that battery is only half-charged you still have ~100 hours of sleep time, which gives you about four whole days to track your device.

If you're mugged or leave your device somewhere and whoever took your device immediately turns it off, you'll be SOL by the time you get to another device to access iCloud's Find My iPhone/iPad. Disabling the power-off function from the button, while the phone is locked, is definitely an advantage since it buys you time to track it.

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
But first, you should learn how to spell.
WTH? The OP made their point and I understood what they're saying without a problem. I'm quite sure they typed the post to the best of their ability. Posts like yours contribute nothing and it's that sort of personal criticism that leads to bullying. For all you know, this person could be foreign and has recently began learning English. Chill out.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
WTH? The OP made their point and I understood what they're saying without a problem. I'm quite sure they typed the post to the best of their ability. Posts like yours contribute nothing and it's that sort of personal criticism that leads to bullying. For all you know, this person could be foreign and has recently began learning English. Chill out.
WTH? The OP made their point and I understood what they're saying without a problem. I'm quite sure they typed the post to the best of their ability. Posts like mine contribute a sense of humor and it's that sort of creative thinking that leads to laughing. For all you know, I wasn't being critical, and I wasn't aware that I was freaking out... maybe you need to chill out.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
And i'm sure him posting on macrumors will get Apple on the solution right away.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If i understand the OP correctly, he is asking for Apple to require a passcode to turn off the device.

Sounds like a good option.

DIABLOW

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
If i understand the OP correctly, he is asking for Apple to require a passcode to turn off the device.

Sounds like a good option.

Thanks for your understanding.

----------

WTH? The OP made their point and I understood what they're saying without a problem. I'm quite sure they typed the post to the best of their ability. Posts like mine contribute a sense of humor and it's that sort of creative thinking that leads to laughing. For all you know, I wasn't being critical, and I wasn't aware that I was freaking out... maybe you need to chill out.

Thanks for your understanding.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
What about a separate auxiliary battery for a low power receiver which passively awaits a signal from the owner to "find my iPhone", upon which, it turns the phone on (but not the screen) and silently updates the location via cellular or wifi.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
They'll just smash it up. Stamp on it and throw it into a wall and watch it explode. What it needs is to switch off but remain on. Give the appearance it's off. Let the tracking run in the background. Just make it only run if pass code is activated and it's good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.