Imus opens mouth inserts foot.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 9, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/
    NEW YORK - After a career of cranky insults, radio star Don Imus was fighting for his job Monday following one joke that by his own admission went “way too far.”

Two of the nation’s biggest media companies — CBS Corp. and NBC Universal — will ultimately decide the fate of Imus’ daily program after he referred last week to members of the Rutgers women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.”

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Unfortunately he has a long history of saying things that are racist/homophoc/sexist. If NBC or CBS were my company he would have been gone a long time ago.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not a fan of Imus by any means but I also don't like the fact that Sharpton is there right on cue to make some publicity off of it. Imus and Stern are alike in that they say things for shock value and I don't think what Imus said was meant with intent but is getting more air play then it should.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I agree to an extent. Sharpton comes across as an attention whore very often. However, I do not see anything wrong with calling Imus out on his BS. I just wish those wishing to eliminate this type of behavior could find some young fresh faces to counter the likes of Imus.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i loves me some irony. you start a thread about someone being racist, and within 3 posts you're having a go at al sharpton. classic.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

What? Can't call Al a media whore just because of his skin color? That has nothing to do with being a racist (even if the OP is)

Protecting someone from criticism because of race is racism, too, you know.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i never said that. i'm just merely pointing out the irony. because i loves me some.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it racist to prove a fact that Sharpton is there any chance he can to get on TV. To be honest I think Sharpton is a racist as well.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You're too quick to label his (macnut's) comment racist.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im curious as to why you think Im a racist.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He didn't label his comment racist. What he did was point out that of all the people he could have chosen who have stood up to have their say, he chose one who was black. There are tons of people, both white and black who've stood up and demanded Imus get canned.

The fact that a black guy, heaven forbid, also did so doesn't seem that far out of line. Especially since Imus' hate was directed at black women.

If Sharpton had taken potshots at Imus, you can be darned sure the entire right wing universe would be pointing their rifles at him.

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It was on Sharpton's radio show where the interview took place tho, So who is out for headlines more, Imus or Sharpton.

13. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Didn't Sharpton interview Imus today? Who else did?

14. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

The real shock is that everyone <b>else </b> is so shocked by his comments. He's made a lot "provocative" comments and noone has batted an eye. I remember the "money grubbing" comment he made about his "jewish bosses" that own CBS...

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i won't have to eat dinner tonight, for all the words being put in my mouth.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Fair enough, I might have read into more then what was there. I will admit to not being a Sharpton fan more for the way he presents himself not what he stands for. He does raise valid points but the way he goes about it.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's just funny to me that you hi-jacked your own thread on post #3. and that you brought up a black man is the source of the irony. no biggie, i really truly enjoy me some irony.

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why exactly is it ironic just because the subject is "black"? You need to seriously look up the definitions of both "irony" and "racism" before you go casting them about in so cavalier a manner.

Are we feeling a wee guilty ourselves, mayhaps?

When we are afraid to call someone out for BS just because of the color of their skin, well, then, dammit, the terrorists have won! :p

(For the humor-challenged, that was an intentional absurdist comment. It's OK to giggle)

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

This all seems really ridiculous to me. Anyone with a combination of a brain and familiarity with Imus' show knows that his "offensive" comments lie in some strange zone between interior monologue and published irony.

This isn't to say his comment, if it were truly believed/held, doesn't deserve condemnation. But it is to say that such condemnation ignores the genuine intent of the host and the program while allowing the "general public" to feel some strange pride in our own supposed lack of prejudice (including published prejudice we regret).

Such that:

We could reflect on our own prejudices (and act on those reflections), or we could create a media stir about the terrible thing one man (a man who's led a hard life and is, at the moment, awfully charitable) with a bully pulpit said.

Which is easier, I wonder -- to reflect, or to displace while actively ignoring that displacement?

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Why does everything have to be politically correct? :(

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's right, somebody who makes a moronic remark on the radio should not have to apologize.

What ever happened to personal responsibility. :mad:

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Moronic remarks are made all the time. A racist remark by a nationaly syndicated radio and tv show host should have consequences.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

True. I wonder how much of that was senility. The last time I caught a piece of his show he didn't make sense and that was years ago.

25. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I did not see anyone say he should not have the right to say what ever he wants. However, he does not work for himself, he works for NBC/CBS - so they get to choose what he can or can not say on their dime.

As for being politically correct - what is that? The only time anyone uses that term, that I have seen, is when they feel they should be allowed to be a bigot/racist with out any backlash for their actions or words.