In 1 hour of doing nothing, my usage went up by an hour?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Kendo, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I did an experiment for the past hour.

1:41 PM
    Usage was 1 hour 35 mins
    Standby was 4 hours 37 mins

2:40 PM
    Usage was 2 hours and 37 mins
    Standby was 5 hours 36 mins

How is it possible that my phone was locked and I didn't touch it, yet the usage went up by exactly one hour? I have nothing running in the background ? Is this normal? Should my usage have only gone up by say 5 minutes max? I see the standby went up correctly but the usage went up nearly the same.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You should try the same experiment with the phone in airplane mode. Wifi, cellular, Bluetooth off and see what happens.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also reset the phone. Sometimes as app goes haywire and just stays on all the time.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Apple counts every second iPhone is not actually sleeping as "usage". Your iPhone had screen turned off, but it was not sleeping. Even though you had nothing running explicitly, some apps were probably doing background refresh. Or maybe iCloud was busy doing nothing. Counting this as "usage" allows Apple to claim "10 hours of battery life". Android is more honest about battery. It simply says "X hours on battery", not "X hours of usage". Then it lists percentages of this time consumed by screen, system, device idle, and apps. If you tap on screen, it shows how much time the screen was actually on. Simple and honest.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure counting just screen time is more accurate than counting actual time the phone is doing something. Seems like both numbers provide useful information, not necessarily one over the other.