In 4 weeks time i'll be competing in a 70 Team Rally from Calais to Barcelona.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Messy, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Welcome to my thread :)

I wanted to create a thread to tell you about something im doing in 4 weeks time.

Im taking part in the Barcelona Bangers Rally May 2011. You have to buy a 'banger' (Sub £500 car) and compete in this three day event. There are various challenges on each day, and partys at each stop during the three day period and of course one massive party at the end of it.

About 70 teams are competing in total from all around Europe!

We're going through Le Mans in France, Tours, Nimes, Andora and to Barcelona with im sure lots of stop offs during the way to various places.

We plan to drive a few golf balls off a Mountain in Andora and have a mid rally party with BBQ too.

Every team has to pick a theme, we quickly settled on a TopGun theme. So, our team "TopGoon" was born.

We have aquired ex-USAF FlightSuits so we'll be wearing them at points during the rally, we also have custom made tshirts etc etc too.

Now, onto the photos of our car :) Remember we could only spend about £500 on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a friend who owns a graphics company, they do all types of things, and luckily for us they also do vehicle graphics so they helped us transform the car.

:)

We're of course raising money for Charity too since one of our friends brothers suffers from Muscular Dystrophy. Its a worth while cause so we're putting in a lot of effort.

Thanks for reading guys :)

2. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

*Sigh*

Do you guys have no interest in Cars? Rallys? Adventures? Roadtrips?

I thought all men liked that stuff. How wrong was I.

3. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

It's an older Volvo station wagon, what did you expect? :p A 240 would've been more exciting. Hard to believe one can acquire an V40 for only 500 quid over there, how did you do that?

That aside, sounds pretty cool. Hope you enjoy it. Wish we had those rallies here in the states. We do have LeMons with much more extreme cars but that's closed circuit racing.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

5. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it was £595 with Tax and MOT so a pretty good deal to be fair. All the work we've done, the graphics etc have been done for free.

A good friend of mine has his own company that does vehicle graphics, signage etc so he hooked us up.

There seems to be a lot of small rallys cropping up all around the Country. Europe is great for touring, lots of great places to see.

£595 :) Bit of a bargain.

The V40's can be bought for £400-£800 if you get an old one. Keep in mind our is 14 years old so...

We have a blog which we're updating all the time you can check out: www.teamtopgoon.com/blog

:)

6. kolax macrumors G3

Stick a camera in the cockpit so we can watch the result!

7. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

We're bringing a Video Camera so the idea is when we're back we'll cut it into a nice little mini film of our adventure :)