In a slowing economy -- Want to switch jobs and make $80,000?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Ten jobs that pay $80,000 a year
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/11/12/cb.jobs.pay.80k/index.html
    Alright... who's game? :D

I saw a similar report on CNN yesterday on cable. My wife's looking to do some training, and is deciding whether to get into the medical field or continue in IT. Some interesting possibilities.

~ CB

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No more retraining for me thanks! I'll take my chances with my current career path...

3. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I'm not really looking to change careers, but I'm looking forward to additional training. Things in the web business seems to keep changing, and I'd like to learn more programming languages in a formal environment.

~ CB

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think I'll just drop my current job and start working as a petroleum engineer.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

None of those for me. If I do any retraining, I'll go to film school.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I keep learning new stuff every day too. Always new codes put in place, new building materials to learn about, new methods of construction, new user needs, new funding mechanisms, new project delivery methods...

Things in my world keep changing too. By no means am I suggesting that I'm going to stop learning, I'm saying that I've found a profession that suits me, and since I'm making above the median pay level, and I don't see my position being outsourced anytime soon, I'm fairly confident that I won't need (or want) to seek re-training for a potentially more lucrative career path in the near future.

7. jplan2008 macrumors regular

My advice is to skip 5 and 6 for the next few years anyway ... I haven't seen any happy floor brokers lately, and there's no market in marketing.

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I hear ya. My field is so transient though. There's such a nexus between IT, webmastering, programming, multimedia, and web design. "Retraining" becomes more formal sounding that it did back in the days (or maybe the areas) where professions are more clearly defined. At the end of the day, I want to just make enough money so that my hobbies and joys (like illustration) are financially clear of the rat race and only for my own enjoyment.

~ CB

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Film school is kinda like Rainier Wolfcastle's goggles. They look good but they do nothing.:D

Lethal

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I don't know about that. We've got a couple of great ones here: Flashpoint Academy and Columbia.

11. JLatte macrumors 6502

I don't see programming on there at all, is it because they're all in India? :( Veterinarian sounds pretty fun.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm surprised at how poorly it pays given the amount and difficulty of training and the long hours involved.

13. JLatte macrumors 6502

Actually yeah, now that you mention it, I really thought they would have been making more. I didn't expect them to make bank per say, but more than that.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm going to take a pay cut and become and associate actuary that sounds like loads of fun (sarcasm) That sounds like the dullest job in the world lol. (sorry if anyone here is an actuary) :D

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not really a matter of having a great school nearby it's a matter of no one really caring where you earned your degree or if you even have one. Generally speaking a dropout w/some work experience will get hired sooner than a straight A USC w/little or no work experience.

IMO, if you wanted to switch gears Lee I'd contact the people who made the movie(s) you were in (assuming there was no bridge burning) and see if they know of anyone looking for a PA. Then I would shove the money you would've spent on film school in the bank to cover living expenses until you get more work experience under your belt. Maybe go to a few community college classes to get some basics down if you are starting from square one.

Lethal

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the point is to guide people TO jobs that pay $80k+ Surely if you're rolling over 80k then you won't need to bother yourself with any such article or change in career. Of course unless you hate your job and you're looking for something better.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's not about the money, it's about the love for animals.

Much like Paediatrics.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Paediatrics pays really well :confused:.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was going to go into petroleum engineering but decided to go with nuclear engineering. seems wiser in the long run

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, but other disciplines would pay more.

Love of children is what drives most Paediatricians.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me likey that idea. :)

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

LethalWolfe is right. My university had some high-level guy from Universal come and talk to a bunch of the film students one day and someone asked the guy if a degree in film was really necessary at all. The movie exec. said that if he had a choice between hiring someone with PA experience or someone with a degree, he would take the person with the PA experience. No amount of class can substitute for on-the-set experience. Any short films you make in school don't really matter since you're not going to get hired straight out of school as an editor or director or anything. Everyone works their way up from the bottom unless you know the right people.

23. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

going over that list it is pretty full of a lot of errors. First off while it is using the AVERAGE income in fails in quite a few areas. For most of those jobs a Medium income would be better (50% make more 50% less)

For example the Petroleum engineer number is MASSIVELY low. most of the people fresh out of college I knew where being offered more than that. several being offered over 100k fresh out of school. If they call that number average and that is the currently fresh out of school number something is wrong.

They listed average but they need the medium. Good example is my job on average pays MAYBE 40k more than likely a little less. But the real number that most people make is 45k-55k. 45 being low 55k being high. I will admit my salary is in the 45k-55k range and I get benefits on top of that.

Just pointing out very huge and clear flaws in it.