In addition to AAA rating, what else did Obama get from GWB?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Aug 9, 2011.

1. mcrain, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

An interesting read: Link

There's a ton more. I suggest my liberal friends give it a read, and I strongly suggest the conservatives here take the time to read. We're ready whenever you are.

(edit) Side discussion: If he listened, I could make Scott Brown of Mass. president in two years. He's the one and only GOP candidate that I see who could steal the race and do serious damage to the gains the Democrats have made during the "tea party insanity."

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

3. dime21 macrumors 6502

Obama, lmao. Aside from give blustery speeches, all the man does is play golf. We should call him King Putt.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

GWB was great at making the dumbasses in congress (dems) follow his idiotic ideas. That skill was not passed down to Obama.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While all your man did was lie to the people about WMDs, had his daddy write a check to get him out of serving a full tour of duty, and squander a hard-earned surplus that his predecessor was finally able to build after his daddy and best friend sent us into about as much debt as we are in now.

Talk about a Fortunate Son...

BL.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If you were really clever you could have worked a Tiger Woods joke in there.

The previous White House tenant didn't play golf that much, preferring to clear bush from his ranch and bike, but his father was inducted into the Golf Hall of Fame.

I like how conservatives begrudge anything that Obama does, even if it's something that presidents have been doing for decades, it serves at a litmus test for partisan hackery.

7. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

I love how everything obama does wrong can somehow be traced back to bush.

It's sad that the only way to defend obama is to say that someone else was worse.

How about we just elect someone good?

By that I mean someone who won't spend as much money as Bush, Obama, Clinton, Bush Sr. etc..

And someone who has the nuts to make some people mad and reform social security medicare and medicaid before that mandatory spending sucks up our entire tax revenue.

Basically, someone whose ideas aren't entirely composed of more ways to spend money

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unfortunately for the U.S., Anne Sullivan is dead. <work on it> :p

9. _Matt macrumors 6502

Things that happened during Bush: 9/11, 2008 financial crisis, Afghanistan, Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, enhanced interrogation techniques, Hurricane Katrina...Should I keep going?

All we have dealt with under Obama is a catastrophic oil spill and the repercussions of poor economic policy and planning that started...you guessed it...with George W. Bush.

Did I mention Obama ordered the assassination of Osama Bin Laden? And it took 9 months of planning, not ten years.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats probably because Bush didn't give a **** about finding him in the first place.

Six months after 9/11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGmnz5Ow-o

11. 184550 Guest

I'm glad you had the audacity to provide the video link as it provides the context you seem to have ignored.

His response makes sense given the question that was posed by the reporter.

12. _Matt macrumors 6502

I don't want to go too far off-topic, but I don't think posting that link was audacious and I don't think Bush's response makes sense given the question.

He wasn't on the run, he wasn't hiding in a cave, and many experts believe terrorism in the Al Qaeda form is not bigger than one person, and that even up to his death Osama Bin Laden was the embodiment of the movement and will never be adequately replaced.

In stark contrast, Obama made OBL a true high value target since day one of his presidency, and I don't need to highlight the obvious result.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If OBL didn't exist, Bush would have to create him anyway.

A boogeyman is nice to have, when doing illegal things, here and there.

He was more valuable to George's handlers alive than dead.

14. 184550 Guest

Audacity

As in it was rather bold of NT1440 to post a video which damages the credibility of his assertion.

Perhaps you could post a supporting document? I can't remember Obama, McCain or anyone paying more than lip service to the whole Osama thing during their campaigns.

IMO, Bush hunted Osama during his eight years and Obama kept up the hunt after he took over. Obama finally got him. End of story.

15. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Wrong... Bush end the "hunt" for OBL in '05... The Washington Post also reported that the CIA unit composed of their special operations paramilitary forces dedicated to capturing bin Laden was shut down in late 2005.

Bush had previously defended this scaling back of the effort several times, saying, "I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."

Obama re-opened the CIA OBL unit - Upon being elected, then President-elect Obama expressed his plans to "renew U.S. commitment to finding al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, according to his national security advisers" in an effort to ratchet up the hunt for the terrorist.

President Obama rejected the Bush administration's policy on bin Laden that "conflated all terror threats from al-Qaeda to Hamas to Hezbollah," replacing it with "with a covert, laser like focus on al-Qaeda and its spawn."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osama_bin_Laden#Bush_administration

16. 184550 Guest

You should have bothered to read your link rather than just copying/ pasting everything.

:rolleyes:

17. _Matt macrumors 6502

Too bad OBL wasn't in Tora Bora, and if Bush didn't dismantle the CIA unit, maybe we would have been looking for high-security compounds without internet in Pakistan instead of Tora Bora cave complexes that the CIA helped build in the early 1980s.

You haven't proved your point.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2008/11/obama-killing-bin-laden-top-pr.html

18. 184550 Guest

I've forgotten more about this topic than you ever knew to begin with. Think what you want, I'm not going to waste my time with someone who read a Wikipedia article or two and is now an expert.

The crux of your argument hangs on single unit at a single agency being dismantled. That premise alone is laughable.

19. _Matt macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not at all, my argument is that Barack Obama cared more than George W. Bush, as evidenced by what the two presidents stated.

You're incredibly condescending for someone that can't support your point without attacking others. I have not been disrespectful to you, but you have been nothing but disrespectful to myself and others who would just like to hear a clearly articulated point supported by evidence that George Bush cared more about finding Bin Laden than Barack Obama. Unfortunately, such evidence doesn't exist, not even on Wikipedia, which YOU seem to read too much since YOU linked it as evidence.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't understand this sentence. How could a presidential candidate pay more than lip service during their campaign? Unless there's a meaning of lip service I'm unaware of.

I tend to agree, though I'd add that the Iraq adventure distracted from Afghanistan enough that capturing became less likely. Do you have a good timeline or source on the hunt for Osama Bin Laden through the Bush and Obama administrations?

21. _Matt macrumors 6502

22. 184550 Guest

Where did I ever state that Bush 'cared' more than Obama? I was challenging your accusation that Bush didn't care. That challenge does not equate to a claim that one 'cared' more than the other. In fact I've stated just the opposite:

Where did I indicate one 'cared' more than the other?

_Matt seems to believe that Obama made it a cornerstone of his presidency to capture or kill OBL. Looking back through coverage of his campaign and presidency, I can't find anything that indicates this was so. Most, if not all of it, seems to be typical rhetoric on the subject.

I'll look around. I seem to remember seeing a good one a year or two ago on 'The Guardian'.

23. _Matt macrumors 6502

NathanMuir, you should really read the Bin Laden timeline I posted before you comment any further on this subject.

Obama's presidency and his support of Special Operations forces and CIA intelligence assets led to the killing of OBL. George Bush said he didn't think about Bin Laden and his actions (as documented in the timeline) support my claim.

You claim Obama "kept up the hunt" Bush started. This is factually inaccurate. He initiated the hunt that Bush terminated.

You are just plain wrong.

----------

Barack Obama:

“We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al Qaeda. That has to be our biggest national security priority.”

“If we have actionable intelligence about high-level al Qaeda targets in Pakistan’s border region, we must act if Pakistan will not or cannot.”

“He is not just a symbol, he’s also the operational leader of an organization that is planning attacks against U.S. targets.”

“Bin Laden has gone deep underground. Even Zawahiri, who is more often out there, has been much more cautious. But we have the best minds, the best intelligence officers, the best special forces, who are thinking about this day and night. And they will continue to think about it day and night as long as I’m president."

Bush:

"Who knows if he’s hiding in some cave or not. We haven’t heard from him in a long time. The idea of focusing on one person really indicates to me people don’t understand the scope of the mission. Terror is bigger than one person. He’s just a person who’s been marginalized… I don’t know where he is. I really just don’t spend that much time on him, to be honest with you."

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

'Cornerstone' no, but Obama did talk about hunting for Osama Bin Laden and changing the strategy in Afghanistan. During the 2008 presidential debate, he said:

And, Obama followed the nascent Bush administration policy of using drone strikes in Pakistan with State Department or ISI approval.

This one.

Actually, no.

From the Guardian article:

Of course, these elements were there until 2003 when they were shifted away from Afghanistan to Iraq.

Again, from the Guardian:

Essentially, you're both right and both wrong.

Bush moved the elements hunting Bin Laden to focus on the Iraq invasion, shifting Delta while shutting down the CIA unit. However, by 2007 the operation was reinvigorated and US forces became more aggressive along the Af-Pak border while cutting out the ISI. It was this type of operation and intelligence gathering—including a focus on the couriers that led to Osama in Laden's death.

Meanwhile, then-candidate Obama spoke about returning to Afghanistan and eliminating Bin Laden. This strategy ultimately proved successful.