(In advance of 1.1.1...) Poll: Re-lock or stay unlocked? What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eddiebrock, Sep 25, 2007.

?

To relock or leave unlocked; that is the question

  1. Relock

    3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Leave unlocked

    7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. eddiebrock macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    #1
    I've seen some people say they are going to relock the phone to its "virgin state"--back to 1.0.2 before hacking/unlocking etc--to prepare for the advent of 1.1.1.

    I've also seen some people say they are going to just wait it out and not re-lock their phones.

    In re-locking, the disadvantage seems to be that if a way around 1.1.1 is never found (or takes a long time) your iPhone will be forever useless (or at least, for a long time).

    In staying unlocked, the disadvantage seems to be that while you retain your phone in a working state, if a way around 1.1.1 is found but you need to be relocked first before re-unlocking, it'll be impossible to go back to a "clean" 1.0.2 once the new update comes out and so you'll never be able to update again.

    What position would you rather be in, keeping all this in mind? Would you rather take the risk, relock, and wait on the dev Team just to be able to continue to experience what Apple gives us?

    Or would you rather not update, knowing that it's entirely possible that at some point, even some of your fellow unlockers will eventually get to experience the updates but you probably never will?

    Personally I'm willing to give up future updates as long as I can keep my phone going. I'm not ready to risk it being useless just for Wi-Fi Itunes and international keyboard support, neither of which I would really use. Until they enable bluetooth, I could care less. I can live on the excellent 3rd party apps for a long time (which deserve your donations).
     
  2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

    TurboSC

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #2
    Re-Lock it just in case man... you can always unlock it again, but what if for some reason the firmware does brick your iPhone, that'd be a very stupid move on your part eh?
     
  3. eddiebrock thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    #3
    Nothing will brick the phone if I don't update, though.
     
  4. earthsick macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    central nj
    #4
    first off i am against the unlocking so i would not have unlocked in the first place, but with that said...just wait until after some one else has tested it out so you do not brick your phone...do not go into the update blindly just so you can have a fancy new icon on your springboard...if there is a problem with unlocked phones after 1.1.1 i am sure there will be a new hack...just be patient
     

Share This Page