In Barcelona. Can buy 16GB unlocked iP4 for 600 euros, should I do it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ubercool, May 19, 2011.

1. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I'm in a quandary. I know the new iP4GS will debut in September. But that's still three months away and I'm suffering with a two-year-old 3GS. A quickie white iPhone 4 unlocked will set me back 600 euros plus tax, about $900.

Think I should get it and sell it on eBay in September?

Of course, I can't use it until I get back to the U.S. because I need to order a SIM cutter from eBay. No one here, apparently, sells "pay-as-you-go" microsim cards. The lady in the Movistar store tells me all microsim cards are for subscription plans only.

What should I do? :rolleyes: :eek:

2. nipponfan macrumors regular

It will cost you 599€, Tax is already included. Right now that's about 855$. I wouldn't get it, that's just too much. On the other hand I don't know how much you could get for a factory unlocked in the U.S.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I can't help you re: whether or not it's worth it (personally I think not- there are tons of better (imo) phones out there than the 4 atm- I'd get one of those for less and sell it when you get the new iPhone- if it's just temporary may as well try something new), but I can tell you that, with a careful hand and a template, you can just cut the prepaid SIM to fit&work. No need for a SIM cutter or anything ;)

4. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Yes, I figure if I could get $600 for an unlocked 16GB on eBay, a three-month rental plan of $255 could be palatable. :D

5. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

6. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I know, but factory-unlocked 16GB iPhones have eBay asking prices of $670 to $900, so it's not really that expensive. ;)

7. nipponfan macrumors regular

I wish you guys had the iPhone factory unlocked for 629$ like in Canada. With the current euro-dollar conversion rate it would almost have been a steal ;)

8. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Yes, that's a steal, sigh, when I was in Canada in Feb. there was no white iPhone yet, so little I could do. Don't have any trip planned to Canada until Oct. when I get to Vancouver. Keeping my fingers crossed that the iPhone 4GS will then we widely available and easy to buy, at which time I will buy two or three. :)

9. nipponfan macrumors regular

Would do that too if I had the cash, considering how much people are willing to pay for one in the U.S.

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

Everyone keeps saying these are too expensive, but that's what they cost. An unlocked iPhone 4 will last you years, and you can sell it to anyone at any time, completely unlocked. Recommended.

11. pbateman macrumors regular

I might be going to Canada soon and thought about getting it unlocked there but when I think about it, Apple sells it for 659CAD that's about $681USD. I am guessing then you have to add tax to that which from what i understand in CA is about 13% so around 744 CAD (769USD). I could just get it unlocked from Ebay for 750 USD..so not really seeing much of a benefit or a steal in buying it in CA. Am I missing something?

12. joshuarobi macrumors regular

If you can afford it, why not? I saved my VZW upgrade for the next gen iPhone by buying used on eBay. 16gb one for about $400 bucks with an otterbox case. Not the best deal, but at least I can jump on the 4gs or 5 or whatever when it comes.

13. rerelease macrumors regular

If you stuck with 3GS for two years, I don't think you should have problems sticking with the white iPhone 4 until the sixth iPhone is launched. The 5/4S might not even be worth the upgrade.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can get a regural sim and cut it to microsim size.

15. nipponfan macrumors regular

True, for americans it's not really a "steal". But if you're from europe for example the iPhone is 629 Euros which currently is almost 900 US-Dollars. Considering that we would get the tax refunded when leaving Canada 629 CAD or 475 Euros is not so bad. Granted, it's "just" a 154 Euros (or 220 US-Dollars) cheaper, so not exactly a steal but still quite a bit cheaper.

16. ikaveh macrumors regular

when I asked my friends there they told me you cant get refund or tax free. so I think you cant esp if you are citizen and not a visitor.

17. kilidar macrumors member

I in Spain now, went to Vodafone for a sim card, they do a 19 euro unlimited data for a week. But they only do micro sim cards on contract.
    I got the 19 euro sim card an bought an 89 cents scissors next door and made a micro sim card running great used 3gigabytes tethering with personal hotspot in the last 48 hrs.
    As for the ip4 for 600 euros u can probably get the tax back, in the uk it is £512 which includes 20% tax which u can get most of back when u leave the eu.

18. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Careful now, Ebay's iP4 sales are to be doubtful. There is a thread of a user here in this forum who bought one and besides not getting the phone, he lost the money he gave for it, look it up.

19. Skika macrumors 68030

I payed 650 eur for mine three weeks ago. I say go for it ;)

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Unlocked is the way to go, buy it. In fact add a 100 and get a 32GB version.

21. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Wow, thanks for all your advice! So I can get a microsim card made with just 89-cent scissors, huh? I like the idea of getting just a regular SIM card and cutting it down to use in the iPhone 4.

VAT refund is 18%, which would bring the phone cost down to 491 euros or $700, not bad at all. :D

Thanks for all the tips folks, and the encouragement in the last posts!!! :p :cool:

22. pbateman macrumors regular

From what I understand they no longer have the program where you get your tax back....saw it in another thread...ended in 2007 so the VAT refund may not be something you can count on.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.html

23. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Too bad Canada cancelled it, but it's still available in Europe. Apple works with Global Blue to get your VAT (IVA in Spain) refunds:

http://www.global-blue.com/brands/apple/

Their calculator shows that the VAT is 18% but their refund calculator only reflects a 10% discount (go figure). :rolleyes:

Here is the Global Blue/Apple Store policy in English (UK):
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_uk.html

and here it is in Spanish (Espana):
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_es.html

Both mention that "restrictions apply," so I will find out if the iPhone 4 qualifies today. :)

24. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

wow. you guys must be wealthy. I waited with my 3GS until I was courted by ATT to stay for another 2 years. They offered a free white 16gb iP4.

A 2 yr contract isn't scary when you know you will have a phone from somewhere! Pay my bills on time and they always give away nice stuff for good customers.:p

25. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Not wealthy, just thinking ahead to September and what will be possible. I'm on a family plan with three iPhones. I figure that AT&T may only offer me one, maybe two, $200 upgrades to an iPhone 4GS. If that's the case, and I also need to buy one for my GF, then I will have to

a) sell my unlocked iPhone on eBay and use that money to fund the AT&T upgrades ($200 x (3x) iPhone 4GS = $600 - $500 for iPhone 4G sold = $100 to budget for)

b) or if I get only one $200 upgrade: give my daughter my unlocked iPhone 4G and upgrade my account and my GF's to a 4GS for $200 x 2 = $400.

Welcome to the world of complex smartphone transactions. :p