In California, it’s been all about protecting criminals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 18, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/andrea-seastrand/article203172149.html

we are a sanctuary city for illegals and hardened criminals.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't forget the homeless, I was in LA earlier in the year and holy **** your politicians should be held criminally liable. If there isn't already a typhus outbreak there probably will be.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/typhus-reaches-epidemic-levels-parts-los-angeles-area-n917271

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

^So what's your solution to homelessness? What do you propose the politicians should do?

6. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

It is pretty bad in some areas. In Irvine though the police pick them up and drop them off in the city next door.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

In a country that has more vacant homes (that were scooped up by the Wells Fargo’s and Birkshire Hathaway’s after the crash) than homeless? The moral answer is obvious.

The market based answer however has no morals.

8. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

If we, Americans, were serious about reducing crime, we would use prison for rehabilitation instead of punishment. What's the best way to create a plague? Round up all the sick people and lock them away without medical treatment. Wanna create criminals? Round up all the offenders and lock them away without any effort to rehabilitate them.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Start with expanding conservatorship and the definition of greatly disabled. The vast majority of homeless people have a mental illness or drug problem. This idea that they choose to live on the street and should be allowed to is asinine. Allowing people to **** in the streets and the cities answer is to put up signs that if you see human feces in the street call this number so we can send a team out to clean it up is beyond ridiculous.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are you speaking for yourself?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am a bit fat so more of a plush criminal instead of hardened :p

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

13. hawkeye_a, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Kinda reminds me of pre-Giuliani-NYC, or current Chicago or Detroit.

I wonder what these examples have in common.... they’ll prolly say climate-change and Trump!/s :D

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Good old California. The ultimate left wing utopia. Watch it burn from the inside. They can’t even blame Trump either. Morons.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Yes, they do seem be in charge of the facility.

16. zin macrumors 6502

Are you suggesting requisitions?

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’m suggesting we deal with immediate human needs and house the homeless.

18. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Maybe the rich and famous will let the homeless and drug addicts live in their monster homes?

The very same people who push for open borders just to sound like they are being humane (when in reality they are just trying to stay relevant in the news / twitter).

I hope their security guards who protect their neighborhoods will let them in their... wait for it... gated communities? Nah, let the general public deal with the fall out.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't live in Cali anymore. Haven't in years. But before you decide to write it off and hope it falls into the ocean or eats itself alive, consider this: http://fortune.com/2018/05/05/california-fifth-biggest-economy-passes-united-kingdom/

Fact is - when it comes to job and the economy, you want California to exist. Numbers don't lie.

20. A.Goldberg, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don’t live in California so I can’t speak entirely to the causes in that specific area. Generally speaking however homelessness is associated with untreated mental illness. This is often schizophrenia, bipolar 1, alcoholism/addiction, and in veterans substance abuse and severe PTSD. Most states have severely lacking public mental health infrastructure. I know in Seattle (and I imagine LA as well) property costs are significant contributing factor. Seattle’s heavy restrictions on residential construction, often related with environmental laws, has caused housing scarcity driving up rent and making housing unaffordable for many. Therefore funding quality mental health programs and providing affordable housing solutions is paramount, along with providing case managers to help these people navigate public assurance programs.

The goal should be to help these people be productive, self-sufficient members of society whenever possible.

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Of course we do! Just wish it wasn't so "dysfunctional" at times. :cool: