In California, it’s been all about protecting criminals

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
over victims
The façade of California’s soft-on-crime approach leading to safer communities is starting to crack before our eyes. At its most fundamental level, government’s role is to protect public safety but unfortunately, our state seems to be forgetting this core function.

Since Gov. Brown took office, a series of criminal justice “reforms” ranging from Assembly Bill 109 to Proposition 47 to Proposition 57 have chipped away at state laws that used to protect the public. We have now reached a point where sex offenders are considered “non-violent” and will likely be considered for early release from their lengthy criminal sentences. How did California, which once passed one of the nation’s toughest laws in Three Strikes, end up here?
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/andrea-seastrand/article203172149.html

we are a sanctuary city for illegals and hardened criminals.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Don't forget the homeless, I was in LA earlier in the year and holy **** your politicians should be held criminally liable. If there isn't already a typhus outbreak there probably will be.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/typhus-reaches-epidemic-levels-parts-los-angeles-area-n917271
Typhus reaches 'epidemic levels' in parts of Los Angeles area
Some experts, however, say the true culprit is the inhumane conditions the county's expanding homeless population lives in.

Reactions: tshrimp

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Don't forget the homeless, I was in LA earlier in the year and holy **** your politicians should be held criminally liable. If there isn't already a typhus outbreak there probably will be.
It is pretty bad in some areas. In Irvine though the police pick them up and drop them off in the city next door.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
^So what's your solution to homelessness? What do you propose the politicians should do?
In a country that has more vacant homes (that were scooped up by the Wells Fargo’s and Birkshire Hathaway’s after the crash) than homeless? The moral answer is obvious.

The market based answer however has no morals.

Reactions: jerwin

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
If we, Americans, were serious about reducing crime, we would use prison for rehabilitation instead of punishment. What's the best way to create a plague? Round up all the sick people and lock them away without medical treatment. Wanna create criminals? Round up all the offenders and lock them away without any effort to rehabilitate them.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
^So what's your solution to homelessness? What do you propose the politicians should do?
Start with expanding conservatorship and the definition of greatly disabled. The vast majority of homeless people have a mental illness or drug problem. This idea that they choose to live on the street and should be allowed to is asinine. Allowing people to **** in the streets and the cities answer is to put up signs that if you see human feces in the street call this number so we can send a team out to clean it up is beyond ridiculous.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2016
Kinda reminds me of pre-Giuliani-NYC, or current Chicago or Detroit.

I wonder what these examples have in common.... they’ll prolly say climate-change and Trump!/s :D

Last edited:

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
In a country that has more vacant homes (that were scooped up by the Wells Fargo’s and Birkshire Hathaway’s after the crash) than homeless? The moral answer is obvious.

The market based answer however has no morals.
Are you suggesting requisitions?

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Maybe the rich and famous will let the homeless and drug addicts live in their monster homes?

The very same people who push for open borders just to sound like they are being humane (when in reality they are just trying to stay relevant in the news / twitter).

I hope their security guards who protect their neighborhoods will let them in their... wait for it... gated communities? Nah, let the general public deal with the fall out.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Good old California. The ultimate left wing utopia. Watch it burn from the inside. They can’t even blame Trump either. Morons.
Maybe the rich and famous will let the homeless and drug addicts live in their monster homes?

The very same people who push for open borders just to sound like they are being humane (when in reality they are just trying to stay relevant in the news / twitter).

I hope their security guards who protect their neighborhoods will let them in their... wait for it... gated communities? Nah, let the general public deal with the fall out.
I don't live in Cali anymore. Haven't in years. But before you decide to write it off and hope it falls into the ocean or eats itself alive, consider this: http://fortune.com/2018/05/05/california-fifth-biggest-economy-passes-united-kingdom/

Fact is - when it comes to job and the economy, you want California to exist. Numbers don't lie.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I don’t live in California so I can’t speak entirely to the causes in that specific area. Generally speaking however homelessness is associated with untreated mental illness. This is often schizophrenia, bipolar 1, alcoholism/addiction, and in veterans substance abuse and severe PTSD. Most states have severely lacking public mental health infrastructure. I know in Seattle (and I imagine LA as well) property costs are significant contributing factor. Seattle’s heavy restrictions on residential construction, often related with environmental laws, has caused housing scarcity driving up rent and making housing unaffordable for many. Therefore funding quality mental health programs and providing affordable housing solutions is paramount, along with providing case managers to help these people navigate public assurance programs.

The goal should be to help these people be productive, self-sufficient members of society whenever possible.

Last edited:

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party