Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
With the 2017 iPhones having a wired fast charging capability, I'm hoping to set up a way to fast charge in my car via the cigarette lighter slot... Was wondering if you guys can help with some questions:

1. I read somewhere that I need a car charger that can deliver 18W or more, is that right? So for example, this Anker car charger says 24w (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_U5KaAbTK4GCSW), is this one ok?

2. And does the car charger need to have a USB-C port (and is that different from regular USB port)?

3. Can I use any charge cord that is usb to lightning? Or does it need to be the usb-c to lightning in order to deliver that fast charging capability?

Thanks! Hoping that by posting this here, it'll also help others who are as confused as I am about their iPhone 8 / 8 Plus / X.

Reactions: Daves0024

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
There are essentially 3 levels of charging speeds that the 8, 8+, and X can do. The normal 5 watt charger that the phone comes with is the slowest. The next step up is the 12 watt iPad charger, and the fastest is a USB C with Power Delivery adapter with a USB C cable.

The adapter you linked to would be the middle level. It will charge faster than that 5 watt adapter that comes with the phone, but not as fast as USB C w/ PD and a USB C cable.

Daves0024

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
There are essentially 3 levels of charging speeds that the 8, 8+, and X can do. The normal 5 watt charger that the phone comes with is the slowest. The next step up is the 12 watt iPad charger, and the fastest is a USB C with Power Delivery adapter with a USB C cable.

The adapter you linked to would be the middle level. It will charge faster than that 5 watt adapter that comes with the phone, but not as fast as USB C w/ PD and a USB C cable.

Do you know of any specific cables that fall under the USB C charge category?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.