In case I wanna upgrade to Lion will I lose all my installed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lavino, Jun 18, 2011.

1. lavino macrumors member

I just got my iMac so I got a few questions so hope you guys don't mind if I asking for things that are asked before. I tried to search for before I post here.

So the question is.. I got all these stuff setup MAMP, thunderbird, Xcode, Steam (TF2) + SC2 etc and I am happy with what I have now. If I decided to get the Lion upgrade (which is $29?) and go ahead with the upgrade... will I lose everything I already installed and setup? Do I have to go through all my apps install and config again or I should be able to run it and it will just updated the OS? Will anything likely be not working from SL to Lion?

Thanks so much

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

No. It's an upgrade, so it'll just upgrade what's already there rather than replace it.

You're safe.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

As mentioned your data should be fine however with any major update make sure you backup and test the backup before doing the update. That just adds an extra layer of insurance, you never know what could possibly go wrong during the middle of an update. I'm not trying to scare you just trying to teach smart computing.