In-Cell touch displays - iPhone not the first

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, Aug 28, 2012.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

So if the next iPhone does indeed have this new technology, they won't be the first as LG's new Opitimus G will have it, since it's THEIR technology. I'm really hoping Apple don't market it under a different name and act as if they invented, ie. retina display. Anyone who cares for facts knows Apple has nothing to do with any of these groundbreaking display tech. The true display OEMs (LG, Samsung, and Sharp in particular) are the true innovators. So please Apple, don't ripp off another technology piece.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, I can imagine that would ruin some people's day.

3. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

:p

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

5. ancns macrumors member

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Feel better now that you got that off your chest, OP?:p

8. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

well if I remember right they never said they invented it they always say we gave it the highest resolution screen and LG can tout it all they want no one will know that they have it other than us tech geeks. When Apple announces next month they will tout the tech and probably give it a name but you probably won't hear them say we invented it

9. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

yeah and the LG phone has very limited initial distribution, so no one really cares (or will know) about it.

10. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

11. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

12. Timzer macrumors 6502

You hit the nail right square on the head. Full credit goes to not Apple's marketing, but to the blind followers who want to believe Apple created everything when in fact they have invented very little. Apple doesn't have to say they invented anything, because these blind followers will automatically believe they invented whatever feature they are selling. This is why so many on the web are expressing their disgust with Apple's spewing all their rhetoric regarding suing Samsung for the sake of morals. What a joke.
    So now if you hear Apple say they are the first phone with an in-cell touch display, you know it's false. But many here will still want to believe otherwise.

13. Rcflex macrumors member

Rcflex

You both are the freaking BOSS... I don't know what i'll do without you two :apple:

14. Timzer macrumors 6502

Like a BOWWWSSSSSSS. ;)

15. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I imagine they will market it as the first one to have a retina display.

+ I'm sure if they do market it as theirs they have made a pretty good deal with LG to be able to do so.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I hear this over and over but I don't remember Apple saying "we invented it" about the technology they aquire (unless can demonstrate they did). There's a lot of competitors out there trying to do the same thing with the same and new technology. Someone has to be first to use something new but that doesn't mean the others aren't innovative.

My understanding is the LG is just an announcement so depending on where you live it may not be the first to market with the new display.

And... Apple has a patent on "a screen with in-cell touch" it that they filed in 2007 before the first iPhone was released. So it may be different than LG's version in a Dr. Pepper / Mr. Pibb relationship.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The difference between Apple and Samsung is that Apple will purchase or license any protected intellectual property.

Samsung simply stole it.

If LG has patented this tech, then Apple will license it. It they have not, then it's open to anyone to use it guilt free.

18. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Apple doesn't claim to have invented high density displays. But they certainly seemed to have made the push to make them widespread. If Apple didn't put billions of dollars into manufacturing high resolution displays, then maybe the capacity and companies who build them wouldn't have been very high for a long time.

It's like how Corning had closed their Gorilla glass factory, then Apple asked for a big order and, look, now nearly every decent smartphone is using Gorilla glass.

That, among many examples.