In continuing praise of the 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedregosa, Oct 5, 2014.

1. pedregosa macrumors member

The 5c obviously isn't the headline phone at the moment, but it remains a decent choice for some buyers.

Its $450 price makes it attractive for those who prefer to buy phones outright and not get caught in the contract web. It's got a very solid build. No "gate"-type issues to worry about. And it runs iOS8 without difficulty.

I've dropped mine more than a few times in the year that I've had it, and it remains in perfect condition. I keep it in the Apple case. The 5c is a good pick for people who, realistically, tend to be a bit rough on their phones and don't want to stress with having a more delicate and expensive device in their pockets.

The version now being sold is down to 8GB, compared with the 16GB when it was launched a year ago. That will be a deal-breaker for some. But for others, it's manageable -- especially if you store data/photos on the cloud and stream music.

Obviously, the 5c is not going to win any features contests. But there's a market for lower-frills phones. And, personally, I like the plastic aesthetic and how the phone feels in the hand.

I'm inclined to keep mine for a second year. I'll likely get my iOS-device features fix with the upgraded iPad Air.

2. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Well said. This doesn't apply to me as I have a 6, but people often forget about the older iPhones that are still in production when they whine about how "expensive" the new iPhones are or that they are somehow being forced to upgrade to a larger screen size.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

$450 is not a good price when you can pick up a brand new 16gb 5S for only $100 more.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The C is perfect as I know a company that just deployed them as company phones. The price is perfect considering that specialized devices for what they use them for would cost them $1000+

5. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I just added my dad to my phone plan last week after he ran out of data while sending me text photos.

He was using some cheap POS prepaid phone and when I told him he could get on my Verizon plan for the same money ($60 mo) he went for it...

I got him a new 5c. It was free with a 2 year contract. It's only 8GB but it's miles above what he had and he loves it... and that's all that matters.

6. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I liked my 5c more than my 5s. It was a well designed phone. Very durable!

7. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Let's just say I would have seriously considered going to a 5c if they had a larger size than the pathetic 8GB. Come on, Apple, you want to sell a cheaper phone I get it, but making it 8 GB to turn people away that's just sad. At least make a 16 or 32 GB model.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Agreed. 8GB is the only thing I don't like about the 5c particularly when there were frequently specials on the 5c which brought the price of the 16GB model to $0-50 and the 32GB to $0-100.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm currently on a Galaxy S3, but I've been eyeing the iPhone 6. My wife has a 5C I recently bought her and I quite like it. I'm considering picking up a 16gb 5c on eBay and waiting to see what the 6s brings or maybe the 7.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I haven't hd a 5C (only model I never owned aside from current gens) but played with one at the AT&T store while waiting for them to fix some issues. Anyway, it was "creaky"... best way I can describe it. Obviously displays get more abuse, but I was shocked.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

At the far end of your spectrum - the iPhone 7 is almost a full 2 years away. What will you use until then? Do you think you'll power through with the S3 all the way to 2016?

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The 5c is a good phone but I will stick with my iPhone 5. It's black (the 5c does not have black), it's metal (the 5c is "premium" plastic) and it can run iOS 6 (the 5c can't).

Yeah. I will stick with my iPhone 5.

Oh yeah. I like the way the metal feels in my hand. It's not plastic.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Well, he said he was considering getting the 5c. :p

Mind, my mom installed iOS 8 on her iPhone 5 and performance in day to day tasks is just the same as iOS 7. Unless I'm benchmarking I can't really notice a performance difference between her 5 and my 6 Plus. Same with iOS 7 and my 5s. This is quite contrary to my previous experience with iOS devices. Before, I'd find one major firmware update acceptable with minor slowdowns but the second major firmware update often brought the device to its knees. I'm not finding this to be a case at all with the 5. So far, it's boding pretty well for the 5/5c's A6 on iOS 9 so I think it's quite feasible to continue using it until the iPhone 7's release. :)

Can't imagine using the S3 that long unless it's running a custom ROM close to stock Android. Hardware's nice but TouchWiz just kills performance.

14. ticojpunk macrumors newbie

In continuing praise of the 5c

Definitely not. I could see myself hunkering down with the S3 for another year, but I feel like I'm ready to move on. The camera is one of the most important features to me on a smart phone. At its debut, the S3 was no doubt at the top of the pack, and it's the reason I chose it. But comparing it now to even the 5c, the 5c seems to top it in speed, low light shots, focusing speed, flash shots, etc.

I wish new/sealed 32GB 5c models were more readily available. But there definitely is way less of them on eBay than the 16GB ones.

My S3 is rooted and running a stock rooted ROM with all bloat ware frozen or removed. So it's definitely running very well compared to what a 2 year old stock S3 would be like. But I'm growing tired of messing around with ROMs and all that. I'm liking the idea of simplicity as I enter my mid-life crisis age. Lol.

15. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yeah, $450 for an 8GB 5c versus $549 for a 16GB 5s makes it lousy value in the US. Here in the UK the 5c is £319 whereas the 5s is £459. At just under 70% of the 5s price it's more a more attractive proposition if you can survive on 8GB.

We're a two 5c household: my wife has a 16GB, my elder daughter a 32GB. I think the casing looks and feels fantastic, although I don't think that I'd trust myself with a naked 5c. They're a bit slippery for my butter fingers.

The 32GB 5c was a recent 'purchase'. £384 over the course of a two year contract. I think the 32GB is quickly becoming hard to find in the UK.

16. ticojpunk macrumors newbie

I find the opposite to be true in regard to grip. I find any glossy plastic sticks to my fingers. Matte finishes are the ones that slip out of my hands.

17. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I guess it might be a question of shape rather than material. I just feel safer with the angularity of the regular iP4/5 casing.

18. blacksurfer macrumors regular

I'll say it. The 5C for $450 sucks! Looks like a cheap Lumina windows phone and only 8gb. If you're a slave to contracts and don't need space then maybe for free it's ok.

19. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

20. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

$450.00? Where is that sold and how big is it I got a 16 GB the very first weekend it was out and I believe it was $100.00. (I don't remember, but it was far cheaper than this.)

21. 997.2 macrumors regular

6 is WAY better in every way. You're just trying to justify your worse device. Happy you're happy but understand that there are much better iPhones... I went from a 5s to a 6 and I NOTICED A DIFFERENCE. The 5c to 5s is a decent difference (better processor in 5s). Whatever man.

22. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Contract price is $99 on launch day.

Off contract price is now $450. :rolleyes:

----------

... no where in his post did he say the 5c is better than the 6. He just said that the 5c can be a better choice for certain people.

Learn to read. :roll eyes:

23. 997.2 macrumors regular

regardless this is a pointless thread and it reeks of him trying to make people justify his purchase of the cheap iPhone. whenever I see a 5c I think A) that person can't afford a real iPhone or B) they are old and don't need much more than a phone. People who post on the forums clearly care so I would assume OP is in the A group.

24. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

$450 is Apple's outright purchase price.

You forgot to tell us that we're poor, 997.2.

EDIT!

Ah. You've remembered. Well done you.

25. 997.2 macrumors regular

fired a couple shots a post up, for your enjoyment ^

EDIT: you called it bro, you called it. Nicely done, cheers