In desperate need of advise, What is it I need? rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AS.BEST.I.CAN, Oct 25, 2013.

1. AS.BEST.I.CAN macrumors newbie

Hello, first of all I would like to thank everyone in advance that is going to share their input and their opinion on my situation.

I'm a college student, currently a fine arts mayor. Mainly I use Photoshop and the adobe suite. I also sit in, auto cad lectures and love using it.

My current laptop is a mid 2010 MBP i5, 8gb ram and 330m. I can use photoshop but lags and it does not handle autocad 3d modeling at all. Its time for an upgrade. As you can imagine I'm kinda on a budget. But its my money maker, so I could justify overdraft on my budget.

My question is, rmbp 15' base, plus 16 gb ram upgrade and perhaps cpu (+100) upgrade. Or go full out, sell my soul to a bank and get the dGPU version. Have been trying to comprehend benchmarks and all, but I'm clearly out of my depth.

So far what I've gathered, DGPU better for gaming (I do NO gaming), but also good for external display which I would really like. I have a Desktop PC (OC i7 4.0 ghz, 12gb ram, GTX 570) that I'm dying to get rid off. Cant afford the light bill it produces, and the size severely annoys me. Although its great for Cad and Adobe work.

My question is could I replace it (the PC) with a base rmbp? or top end rmpb? and get similar performance?

Tried the 13' at bestbuy, screen is so small. I'm very visual and I'm a big guy 6 feet, I don't mind lugging around a 15', besides the new retinas are made out of clouds and anti-matter, in comparison to my mid 2010, which is made/compacted out of the core matter of a dying sun/black-hole.

My point is, which benchmark should I be looking at? even better what is your suggested model for my needs? Heavy photoshop, amateur autocad.

BTW I manage, somehow to be limited by my ram 8gb, so Im really set on 16gb and future proofing. Seems rational, perhaps it not, do to maverick magic ram management.

256gb is fine, but I also read the current cover article in the blog that says the 512gb drive performs best. Although I have a nice external HD that I use to dump all data I don't need. Moreover, I'm also an avid user of drop box and Google drive so the upgrade is painfully expensive, for me at least. BTW, I have friends with render farms and wont be rendering anything monstrous on my laptop.

Iris Pro seems legit and I would definitely appreciate not being handicapped by my proximity to a power outlet, this pint seems relevant to me, as it's safe to assume that the dGPU is going to make my laptop power hungry.

So what would you get, if you were in my situation? I'm so confused by choice. Also I have a 1500 apple gift card, so I'm limited to apple, and love their products and wouldn't touch a windows laptop with a 10 foot pole, in my younger days I experienced the 1 year cycle of window laptops.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

For school and/or photography/art work I'd lean towards the 15".

Not only do you get more screen real estate, but also a quad-core.

As for whether this is a good move, Even throughout my student life, I always bought the max I can afford. Only you can decide what works, but last time I maxed out a spec was 7 yrs ago, and I'm still using it today for Lightroom, mild PS, Xcode, PHP/MySQL development (with a mamp server running in the background), etc.

3. AS.BEST.I.CAN thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should fork out the cash... almost 3 grand with apple care, I had a similar conclusion but damn..!!

4. reincarkunn macrumors newbie

having the same confusion too. no gaming but still want a better performance in daily stuff. i may try the lower base of 15' but upgrade to 16g ram and 512g disk. but the difference of the price to the higher 15' base is only 90$ ? annoying :(

5. walkie macrumors 6502

People in this forum said that the previous rMBP were doing CAD stuff well on the nvidia 650m so if I were you I'd buy the new rMBP with dGPU, the new version of CAD supports full retina resolution.

6. AS.BEST.I.CAN thread starter macrumors newbie

But the Iris pro is supposed to be on par with the gt 750m, or 10% less. Is a 10 improvement worth $300+? or even worse if the Iris actually out performs the 750 in a non gaming environment. SO it would be $300+ dollars in something I don't use and drains my battery..

7. pgiguere1, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The applications you mention are both CPU and GPU intensive, and would without a doubt benefit from the added power in both CPU and GPU of a 15" rMBP compared to other MacBooks.

Now for the Iris Pro vs GT 750M question, the only GPU benchmark results I could find are from Cinebench OpenGL tests:

Late-2013 rMBP 15" w/ GT 750M: 53.04 fps
    Mid-2012 rMBP 15" w/ GT 650M: 47.44 fps
    GTX 570 (desktop card): 44-46 fps, depending on the variant
    Late-2013 rMBP 15" w/ Iris Pro: ~38 fps
    Late-2013 rMBP 13" w/ Iris: 20.8 fps
    Early-2013 rMBP 13" w/ HD 4000: 14.3 fps

I haven't found a review that mentions results for the 2013 rMBP 15" w/Iris Pro, but based on several other benchmarks comparing the Iris Pro inside the 21.5" iMac and the 650M inside the Mid-2012 15" rMBP, the Iris Pro should be around 20-25% slower than the 650M. So I'm estimating a score of around 38 fps, but actual results may vary a bit.

If you currently find that performance on your desktop are satisfying for the work you do, and that the 15" rMBP w/ GT 750M is out of your budget, a good option might be to buy a 2012 15" rMBP w/650M which is slightly more powerful than this year's base model with Iris Pro.

Here are two refurbished models that might interest you:
    Late-2012 15" rMBP, 2.3Ghz, GT 650M, 8GB RAM, 256GB flash : $1599
    Late-2012 15" rMBP, 2.7Ghz, GT 650M, 16GB RAM, 512GB flash : $2169
    Or you may also look for used models if you want a 2.3/2.4GHz 256GB flash model with 16GB RAM.