in FCP can I convert .mov files to work in an HD sequence?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by marysuper8, Jun 9, 2010.

1. marysuper8 macrumors newbie

I'm working with 720 60P files and have set my final cut pro sequence as such. I am trying to bring in some MPEG 4 Vids (clips) and they come in with an VERY LONG render time. Should I compress them before dropping them in this sequence or do I have to put up with the long render time?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Before importing into FCP, use MPEG Streamclip to convert those MPEG 4 videos to files suing the .mov container and the Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes codec, whichever one you did chose for your sequence.
    After that you can import the .mov files into FCP and shouldn't have any problems regarding rendering. Just make sure, the export settings in MPEG Streamclip match the settings of your sequence and the other normal clips you already used.

http://www.squared5.com/

3. marysuper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this something I can do using compressor? I am currently trying out a "apple pro res 422" setting, just to see.

Another bigger question is when I have completed the project and I want to project it in it's native HD format, do you have any suggestions as to what I will compress it as and how I can deliver this to a client for them to sit down and screen in their home using a projector?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe you can use Compressor, but MPEG Streamclip is somehow faster and better suited for this, even though it has no presets like Compressor.

If the client want to watch it via her/his computer, it's best to find out what OS is running on it and what the specs are. Because delivering the finished video in its native format might be not playable on that machine. Best to use the .mov container and the H264 codec, that's how I deliver finished episodes for the audio department, because they don't need the video in its native format.

Also make sure what kind of finished product (DVD, Blu Ray, video file) the customer wants.

5. marysuper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You. I will try this stream Clip.

Ok. So if I will be able to project the movie out from my mac-pro, is there are way to export this as one file so I can play it on itunes and expand it to full screen? What would I compress it as? If my sequence setting is DVCPRO HD 720 60p? I guess Im just looking for a contained file for it for now and will deal with authoring later.

thanks.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Export it via the Export dialog in FCP as DVCPro HD 720p 60 .mov file and use MPEG Streamclip (or Compressor) again to convert it to a format of your liking.

7. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Why would you want to export as DVCPro and compress it even further?

Before you import your files into final cut, use either compressor or mpeg streamclip to convert to to ProRes or the format you will be editing. It's as simple as that.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the sequence setting is DVCPro, why not use that as export codec, when all the material is already using the DVCPro codec.

It was an example, as the OP mentioned DVCPro as sequence setting, thus my assumption, the actual footage would use those settings too.

9. marysuper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Streamclip works awesome. Huge time saver! Thank you for the great advice. I guess I will cross the final export issue when I get there, although I understand what you mean about not needing to compress further. I guess the question was more having to do with creating a contained file for the project.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on what you want to do with it further. Editing or just showing off.
    Have a look at the manual under Example: Consolidating Your Project and Media Files for Archiving if you plan to edit further.

11. marysuper8 thread starter macrumors newbie