In Finder, do I need to keep my 'iPhoto Library' if I only use 'Photos' nowadays?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sn, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sn, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

sn macrumors 6502

So, I don't use iPhoto anymore. I've migrated my library to the newer 'Photos' app and I'm happy with it.

Given that I'm almost certainly never going to go back to using iPhoto, can I delete the file called 'iPhoto Library' from the Pictures folder in Finder?

It's taking up a considerable chunk of space so I'd like to get rid of it if it's of no use to me. Deleting it won't somehow **** up my Photos library will it?

2. MJWMac1988 macrumors member

MJWMac1988

Do you have an external hard drive that you can use to backup your iPhoto Library? Or is it already backed up on an external hard drive? Either way, make sure the most recent copy of your iPhoto Library folder is backed up somewhere. Then delete the iPhoto Library from your internal hard drive (move to trash, empty trash). Now see how the Photos app functions.

Most important test: To see if original copies of your photos really are still in the Photos Library, open Photos, select a photo and go to "File > Export Unmodified Original..." Save it to your desktop. Investigate its size (megabytes, megapixels, etc.) to make sure it is an exact copy of the original that came from your camera(s). Try this with several photos just to be sure. If the exported photos aren't exact copies of the original photos, then re-import your iPhoto Library to your internal hard drive, for now. If the exported photos are exact copies of the originals, then you may continue using Photos without your iPhoto Library being on your internal hard drive; however, it might be wise to keep a backup of the iPhoto Library for a year or five, just to play it safe.