In iTunes, every time I close a search, it returns me to the top of my music library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WiRa, Oct 17, 2010.

1. WiRa macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    Every time I search for a song in iTunes, then close the search by hitting the "x" in the search bar, iTunes returns me to the top of my iTunes library (the A's), instead of staying on the song I've searched for and selected. It's incredibly annoying, and has been happening to my iTunes for a few years (but didn't in early versions of the software). Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a bug, or just a bad design? If so, is there a way to stop it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think that's expected behaviour.

But if you want your item, press up then down, or down then up (because if you move a selected item, it'll bring focus to it). It's not a solution, but it's something I do without thinking anymore.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It returns you to the top of whatever selection you started with. For example, if you search within Music, it returns you to the top of Music. If you search within a playlist, it returns you to the top of the playlist. It's working as designed.

4. WiRa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys--looks like I'm in the minority in not liking this feature, I guess. However, GGJstudios, this actually doesn't happen when I search in a playlist. I search for a song, play it, and then when I click the "x" in the search bar, my full playlist opens up, but my selected song is at the top--the section of my playlist displayed is not the very top of the playlist. I'd like this to happen in my full music library, but I guess it just isn't designed this way? Oh well...

Oh yeah, what got me thinking this was a bug in the first place is that when I close out my search (in full library), the window quickly (a fraction of a second) displays the part of my library with my selection at the top, but then returns to the very top of my list. It's as if it wants to stay there, but is getting reset.

Thanks again.

5. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

I know what you mean, it annoys me to. But one thing that ignores me the most, is when I have shuffle on while I am listening to my ipod, it decides to play the same song twice......I have over 8,000 songs on my ipod. That drives me crazy, and it does it often.