In just 8 months full battery went from 4-5 hrs to 1...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marklight, Oct 14, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

Bought a new MBP in Feb or march, whenever they came out... at the time, I could get like 4-5 hrs of battery time if I turned down/off most things.... but now doing the same techniques, I only get like 1 hour of run time after a full charge. I never even really have it unplugged much - in fact hardly ever, although it is often on all night long, every night if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions or comments?

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Leaving it plugged in all the time will degrade the battery much more quickly than using the battery occasionally. And remember that you're supposed to recalibrate the battery at least once per month. Another option for someone like you is to drain it down to 40% charge and then keep the battery in the refrigerator. (This option is only good if you keep your laptop bound to a desk where it's unlikely to get unplugged accidentally.)

A good read:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

take it to the apple store if it is under a year old and capacity is less than 50% they should give you a new one. that is if the cycle count is not to high.

4. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

My count is 53. Is this high or no?

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

that is a very low cycle count high would be 200+ just dont tell them that you leave it on the charger all the time.

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

it doesnt matter what you tell them, about how you use it. They owe you a replacement, end of story.

Tell them whatever you want, either way, theyll give you a new/refurb one.

7. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

The have replaced my early 2007 MBP battery twice so far ( one off Applecare as well ). Both time within 8-9 months despite intermittent discharges, it was down to 30% or less of capacity and would often die without shutting down.

Just be firm, they will replace it.