In less than 24 hrs there are three deep scratches all on the left side.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by txmade, Sep 26, 2015.

1. txmade macrumors member

I am baffled, I have had this phone 6s + for less than 24 hrs and have three deep scratches on the left side of the screen , like almost perfect lines. I have had this phone in a case, and unless my daughters knocked it off the recliner and it fell on the ground it hasn't hit the floor yet.

I thought they advertised this screen as being stronger and tougher. On phone with apple support now, I have been a apple fan for a while, but this is disappointing.

Have y'all had any issues with the screen?

2. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

If they're deep scratches, then something beyond normal use has happened. Phones don't scratch themselves (at least not to my knowledge). Kids don't like to admit to things, so it's possible your daughter did it, if she's quite young.

4. ftlum macrumors regular

If Apple is using Gorilla Glass 4, the screen is mainly more drop resistant, rather than scratch resistant. Samsung's own cases were scratching their new Edge phones, so if your case has a cover, you might want to see if that's what happened.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

This. ^

Glass screens will scratch, nothing will ever change that right now. Maybe in the future but now, no.

6. hobspain macrumors member

hobspain

Apple is not using Gorilla Glass anymore. They have their own glass (Double Ion something)

7. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Lol where did you get this information? The "double ion exchange" glass is a version of Gorilla Glass 4 from Corning.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Neither company acknowledges their relationship, but it's pretty clear from the following link that they're still working together: http://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

Thirty-one of the 50 states provide parts, materials, or equipment to make Apple products. This manufacturing spans an incredible range of industries with suppliers from coast to coast. For example, some iMac models are assembled and tested in California. Many of the processors that go into Mac are from Arizona. Indiana contributes sophisticated manufacturing using high-performance alloys to ensure that our products hold up under tough conditions. Kentucky continues to be a major provider of glass for iPhone and iPad. And the cardstock for our beautiful letterpress cards comes from Wisconsin.
    (One of Corning's largest manufacturing facilities is in KY.)

9. hobspain macrumors member

hobspain

10. willmtaylor, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

11. hobspain macrumors member

hobspain

That's true but neither is your quote on Kentucky providing glass coming from Apple either. I don't think we will ever see Apple making any comment about their suppliers, specifically identifying where specific parts come from.

Most probably Apple uses glass that may or may not be provided by Corning and then a third party supplier -using apple's technology- will harden/improve it.

12. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

I carried my 6 for a year naked. I dropped it at least 25 times and basically didn't worry about anything considering I had AppleCare+. And I didn't have anything but superficial marks (had to turn off screen and hold up to a light to see them) on my screen. Something out of the ordinary has happened to your phone.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The two don't compare. Pogue says Apple does but offers no substantiated proof. My quote is from Apple, and there are no other major glass manufacturers in KY, so accord into my quote, one must deduce that Corning is the supplier being alluded to.

14. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I always get superficial scratches on the screen from the little rivets on my jeans but they are hardly visible unless looking for them.

15. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

16. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Very first thing I did for my wife's iPhone 6s was buy a case ($30 Speck mighty shell at Samsclub. Also picked up a Epson 720p LCD projector on clearance for $220 new; yes). Second thing I did was apply a glass screen protector that I had almost a year ago when I switch back to Android. Third thing I did was tell people like you to buy screen and case protection to keep your phone is excellent condition the moment you take it out the box.
    When I turned my wife's 3 year old iPhone 5 in to Verizon for the $200 credit the phone was in brand new like condition because I followed my steps listed above. Just offering some friendly advice. Plus people could have ordered glass screen protectors 2 weeks ago.

17. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Glass screen protectors are super cheap now. Why risk it? Glass feels no different.

18. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point I guess... I'll be giving it back to Apple in a year and I have AppleCare. If I scratch it bad enough I'll get a replacement. I don't see the need to baby it and buy a case and screen protector I guess..