In Mail can I need to assign 2 email addresses to the same account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nwrealestate, Apr 24, 2007.

1. nwrealestate macrumors newbie

When I respond to a particular person I need to automatically send a copy to another email. I already have this email contact in a group so I don't want to make another group necessarily. When I call up a particular contact person I need to have 2 email addresses linked to them so that the information always goes to his 2 different emails without me having to remember to send to both. Kinda would be like a group within a group ( if you think about it) anyway does any one know if this is available in OSX mail program?
    Thank you

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Create a second entry for this individual in Address Book, containing his second e-mail address, and add that card to the group. I think that solves your problem.

3. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

I've thought of that but I need to know that when I select one of the emails to reply to in address book, it automatically pulls up the other so that the two individuals both get my email automatically no matter which one is selected. Need them to be (in a sense "linked" to each) so any time one of the two emails is selected the other also comes up in the cc: line of my email.
    I already need to have them each in another group. What would be like be ideal is if I could (group these two emails together) "inside" the other group.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like a job for rules, but I'm not sure a rule can apply to a newly outgoing message....

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

If you have both emails for that one person in address book all you have to do is start typing their name and you'll see a drop down with both addresses. Select one then do it again and choose the other address. It's not that hard.

Or, copy paste the first email and click the arrow next to their name and select the other addy.

Or, maybe you can create an automator action.

Okay, I'm out of ideas.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now that you mention that... in Mail, in certain places, multiple e-mail addresses can be entered comma-delimited. So, for instance, you can deal with having a .Mac account with six different e-mail addresses.

What happens if you make an Address Book entry for this individual with the e-mail addresses put together in the same field like this:

Work: xxxx@bbb, yyyy@ccc

Does that work?

7. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thank you so much. It came up with a window telling me that it the email name did not seem to be recognizable but ask if I wanted to go ahead and send, so I did and it went, and I received it in both my accounts. Thank you so much for your help.

8. daver11 macrumors regular

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have an idiot customer that makes me send EVERY e-mail to his office AND home. Then he takes every e-mail I send to his home and forwards it to his office, and he makes his secretary forward every e-mail I send to the office back to his home! Dumb*ss is so afraid of losing something! What a pain the last two years have been! But no more!

Tried it, it works, LOVE it!

THANKS!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

^^^^ <Praying that the client is not a MR member>

10. daver11 macrumors regular

No. He's not even a Mac guy. I shouldn't be too hard on him, though. He sends me a boatload of work!