In need of a GPS for my car...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Illuminated, May 18, 2011.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Today, my Garmin Nuvi 660 took a crap on my dashboard. The screen is unresponsive, and I can't wait 2 weeks for the screen to get replaced. I use my GPS everyday for hands free calling, and direction...I'd literally be lost without it.

So, I'm now looking for a new GPS. I'm unable to find a GPS that fits my needs.

-Needs Bluetooth (found a ton of these)
    -Can be used with a dashboard friction mount
    [​IMG]
    -and can be powered using this friction mount...
    -would like to the have the real time traffic updates
    -4.3" screen

Oh and my price range is $150-$250

Hopefully someone could help me out.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Check out the Garmin nuvi 1390T. It has everything you need (altough I'm not sure about the friction mount, but as both are Garmins...)

You can buy it for CAD$174.95 here, so you can probably find it for less in the states.

3. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I've read terrible reviews on the 1390T.

EDIT: in the reviews, the bluetooth didn't work well with Blackberry phones.

4. Melrose, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Garmin GPSNAVMAP 60CSx is a very good one. Of course, it's used a lot by geocachers.. not sure how it work in the car going down the road.

I mean, of course it would work fine, but how to handle it might be a problem.

EDIT: on amazon.

5. McRCN macrumors regular

I love my 5" screen on my nüvi 1490T. I have that same friction mount too.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have an older Magellen that I really like. To help out with some reviews you should check out www.gpsmagazine.com

7. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Ended up getting the 1490T today. My dad is an engineer and made an impromptu vent mount for the GPS...I'll take a picture of it tomorrow...

Thanks for all the help/information gang!

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Glad you got one you like :)

I'd like to have one at some point, but the dang thing is I never get lost. :(

9. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So my dad made a custom vent mount. It's a permanent mount, made from two pieces of metal, the brass one has a silver piece attached to it that is going into the vent, and attached with rivets, and then the brass one is screwed into the dash (above the clock).

Now the GPS is not in my direct view of vision, and is not obstructing any views...aaaand it doesn't slide around!:D

Attached Files:

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I had a 5 year old TomTom One. It worked great. I was about to upgrade to a new TomTom, but everyone I looked at BAD reviews, so I ended up with a Garmen nuvi 1490LMT with free traffic and map updates. Most of the time this Garmen seems to work well but sometimes it acts a funky like it's confused. There was one area in the downtown Houston area heading north on 59 with lots of overpasses where it showed that I should do a 180 on the highway and reverse course... right. My wife swears it took her on a wild goose chase in Austin, but I was not there to witness. I knew where I should be going and finally it righted itself. Anyone seen strange stuff like this with any brand GPS?