In need of advice before I spend my hard earned dollars

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleTree, Feb 27, 2008.

1. AppleTree macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to get some advice from all of you experts out there before I lay down my money on a new macbook pro.

What I would like to know is the pros and cons of buying a new Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz Penryn vs. an older model 2.6Ghz Merom refurbished.

For me I think paying $2499 for a new macbook pro with the new processor is not worth the price if i can buy an older refurbished model with a faster processor (in Ghz) for $650 less! Of course i lose the extra 256 vram and bigger hard drive, but thats it....

Do you guys think this is a good move??

And what is your experience with refurbished products??? i've never bought, and i would just like to know, before buying, if they have dents in the case or anything...and I wonder how many refurbished macs are actually new and never sold...

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

dude, are you kidding? get the 2.6 no question. smack yourself on the forehead :)

apple refurbs are great. some of the highest quality. in fact, they may be even better than brand new, as they are thoroughly tested. only thing you don't get is that exhilirating feeling of opening up that fancy new box. Instead you open a brown box.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Unless you are one of the very few people who needs the 512MB of VRAM, the 2.6 for $650 less is a no-brainer.

4. bollweevil macrumors 6502

But the new Penryn MBP uses hafnium oxide as the dielectric - hafnium! How cool is that?

5. AppleTree thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it really justifies a savings of $650 dollars. However, when the new centrino platform comes out (Centrino 2 aka Montevina) there will be a substantial difference in performance with the Penryn processor.

Ok, i'm giving in, i'm going to buy the refurb 2.6Ghz...i think this is a much better deal....