In Need of Advice from Those Who Canceled Their AT&T Order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fouramphonecall, Oct 14, 2011.

1. fouramphonecall macrumors member

I ordered a Black 64 GB in-store at 5pm central on the 7th. It's still on backorder and Reps tell me they have no idea when it will ship, only that I just missed the cut-off.

The AT&T store closest to me still has a few Black 64GB iPhones left, and I'm debating calling up and getting them to cancel my order so I can pick one up in-store. Has anyone had luck with this? Was it worth it or too much of a headache? I don't want to find out I have to wait a day before I can purchase again or something and then get totally screwed when they run out of phones and I no longer have an order.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. yrrej macrumors regular

a friend of mine was in the same situation and they told him once the pre order is placed they can't cancel it...

3. fouramphonecall thread starter macrumors member

I've read people on here who claim they've done exactly that though.

4. Techie79 macrumors newbie

I just posted a thread on this. I'm repeating my tip here.

I like many placed a pre-order with AT&T and have yet to get confirmation when I will receive my phones. There are several stores in my area with plenty of stock, so I decided to cancel my pre-order and go pick it up from the store. Some stores cannot cancel the pre-orders in the store for whatever reason, but some do. You can try your luck and head into a store to see if they can do it for you. Otherwise, you'll need to call AT&T.*

I have a tip when calling AT&T. Don't call the order status line, they have no power to cancel and parrot the same line that you can't cancel your order. I discovered that if you get transferred to e-comerce department who handles online orders, they have the ability to cancel. I was given a direct number but haven't tried it myself. Here it is: 866-391-0749. I was transferred directly, spoke to a rep named Brandon, and successfully cancelled my order with no hassle, had my upgrades reverted, went to the store and picked up two new iPhone 4S (a 64GB white and a 32GB black). Took more than an hour.

Good luck!

PS. 16GB sold out fast.

5. Eradik macrumors regular

I went into ATT to do just this.

The assistant manager and the store manager talked about it for a minute in the back. He came back out and told me that as long as it didn't show shipped in their system they should be able to cancel it.

Sure enough, it was showing backordered. The rep who started helping me was able to cancel it with the assistant manager's override code.

The assistant manager did mention that it was an exception. I don't know if this was true or what, but whatever. They canceled my order and reversed my upgrade on the spot.

Walked out with my new 4S a little bit later.

(For the record, ordered 10:30 am PST on the 7th in store)