in need of osx tiger for hard drive swap

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cave12man, Aug 22, 2008.

1. cave12man macrumors member

just recently bought a new hard drive to replace my existing one that is making all kinds of noises and realized that i need the system disk to boot to the new one after i copy its contents. i know this might seem a little far fetched but does anyone have a copy to lend out so i can use it to boot? an alternative would be great as well. tnx

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Just use carbon copy cloner or super duper to clone your old drive to the new one. Then you have everything exactly as it was except on a new (non-dying) drive.

3. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

What kgarner said; also maybe give Apple a call & request restore disks for your system

4. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys. althought one question...i saw a video on how to add another drive to clone and it in order to swap and it said i had to set the jumper to slave then use the system disk to boot to the slave so i could take the old one out and move the new one over to master.

how would you make it boot up to the slave drive without the system disk? hopefully there's something i dont know of yet...any thoughts?

5. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

I'm pretty sure when you reboot holding T it will go into the slave mode.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Holding down the T key is for booting into Target Disk mode, so that the HDD of one machine mounts on the desktop of another as an external Firewire drive.......

btw, WTH is "slave mode" anyway, and from where in da world did you get that term ?

oh do enlighten me/us, puhleeze :p

7. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

With any recent-era macs running OS X (G4's & up), HD jumpers are essentially irrelevant.....no need to mess with them.

Basically you just have to:

A) phycially install the new HD & connect it to power & data cables

B) Start up your machine. Open "Disk utility", select the new HD from the list on the left, and choose "Erase" or "Partition", select your options, and click the appropriate button

C) Once the new HD is erased/partitioned, then you can use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to make a bootable copy of your existing installation onto the new HD.

D) Once the clone is completed, then open System preferences >> Start-up Disk, select the new HD as your start-up disk, and restart......

all nice & neat & simple, & WITHOUT having a boot CD/DVD too :eek:

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Also, if you hold the Option key while booting, you will be presented with a selection of boot drives. Just select the new one (after you've cloned the old one, of course).

11. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

ok i got everything squared away but one last questions....

after clonging and everything and i want to remove the old hard drive, should i eject it before turning off and unplugging from the machine? can i eject and just leave it in the machine since its not being used?

thanx again to you guys fro helping me out

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is incorrect.

It depends on if you have PATA or SATA interface.

G4 desktops have PATA interfaces, but can still run OS X.

PowerMac G4 PATA drive info:

• Can be set as master or slave using jumpers.

• If 2 HDs are on the same cable (channel) they one must be set to master and the other set to slave. They cannot be both set to master or slave.

• If 2 HDs are on different cables (channels) then both should be set to master.

• Can boot from a HD that is set to either. However, the master setting is preferred.

Just wanted to clear that up since others on here may be using G4 based PowerMacs.

Once you clone the HD, and select the new one as the start up disk, reboot to see that it in fact will work as the start up disk. You may need to hold down the OPTION key at boot up to select the disk.

Once you see all is working fine, shut down the computer. Remove the HD.

Yes you can. But usually, it will mount each time you boot your computer. Plus if it was acting up, why keep it in there?

13. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

ha good call...thanks for the info about the jumpers too