In need of some app that will download flv and convert it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tbluhp, Aug 24, 2008.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

Are their any that is a combined app without installing one for flv and one for converting?

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I use Perian http://perian.org/

In Safari, While the .flv is loading. Go to window and open your activity window. Scroll down till you find the .flv you want and double click on it. This should start a download of just the .flv

One you have the .flv you should be able to open and convert it with quicktime, once Perian is installed.

3. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I just downloaded (and purchased) Videobox from tastyapps.com yesterday. It does exactly what you're looking for. Costs $15. The demo is fully functional, but only lasts five days, so play with it as much as possible to make an informed decision. I paid for it within 30 minutes of downloading it.

However, I did a quick test of the quality of the .mov file created with Videobox vs. simply downloading the .flv (as "raw") using Videobox and then converting it to .mov with VisualHub. The VisualHub file looked better to me.

So I'm going to use both apps, even though Videobox will do it all. With a Mac Pro (see my sig for specs), the conversion doesn't take long so it's no big deal for me.

James