Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
When we moved into our home a few years ago, the previous owner already had a Bose Lifestyle system installed. I liked it, not for the high audio quality but, for the fact that it was already installed and built in. A few years later, I had a tech support question and I guess they noticed I had an older system. Offered me something like 75% of a new system so I took it. At the time, I didnt even realize that it wouldn’t even pump out 4K via HDMI...WTF? So now.....I need some help.

I have a 65” Samsung and all of my component wiring and head unit are built into a cabinet below a bookcase and have wiring ran to 4 speakers in a pretty large living room. I also have Bose outdoor speakers which are managed through the main system.

My wiring is setup like this:

TV to Bose system via HDMI
FiOS cable box to Bose
Apple TV directly to TV and (hidden behind TV)

I just got Apple TV but have to switch between sources which requires multiple remotes (leaving out the Bose remote because it doesn’t control sources on the TV, only sources on the actual BOSE system) and when it’s TV only, the sound is terrible (even compared to the Bose).
We’ve been using the Samsung remote to get to 4K versions of Netflix, Prime and YouTube (vs. going to the actual FiOS channels through the Bose remote) but you’ve got to mute the Bose system and then crank the TV sound and then reverse it for regular viewing.

I want to be able to use one remote for everything and be able to access the FiOS guide and Apple TV for everything else?

What do you suggest?

Attachments

• CF2D4440-9BC6-4654-886C-C72A484569D6.jpeg
    CF2D4440-9BC6-4654-886C-C72A484569D6.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 204

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I just got Apple TV but have to switch between sources which requires multiple remotes

want to be able to use one remote for everything and be able to access the FiOS guide and Apple TV for everything else?

There are a lot of integrating remotes and systems which allow you to use one remote to control all devices. In my case I've used harmony remotes to control 9 devices. Press or touch one place (turn on Apple TV) and all of the appropriate devices are turned on with the appropriate options.

Don't know of any that duplicate the Apple TV touchpad scrubbing feature.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I agree with the Harmony remote recommendation. I don't currently have one, but I have used them in the past and would use them again in a hot minute if I needed a programmable universal remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.