In one week the Mediterranean swallowed over 1,030 migrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 15, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So what should Europe, the EU, or NATO do about it?

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Drain the Mediterranean?

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

[tongue_in_cheek]

Quickest way to find MSR804; shut the door and turn off the spigot at Gibraltar, and pull the drain plugs at Sardinia, Sicily, Cyprus, and Kriti.

[/tongue_in_cheek]

BL.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Damn you for making me google what that is. I hate learning new stuff. :mad:

edit: OH GOD, DOOD! THAT'S COLD!

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Cruel and cold, yes, I know. Hence, the tongue in cheek.

Seriously, that sea has been a serious death pit in recent years, and none of it good at all.. :(

If anything, it should place into perspective how lucky we all are to be sitting in front of a keyboard and debating it on a geek forum, instead of being out in the middle of it. We all should be going home tonight and hugging our families and thanking $DEITY that we're here together and not there.

BL.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

stop making them flee their homelands.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Maybe they think they are shipwrecks.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Ironically, that'd require more intervention on our part.

9. zin macrumors 6502

That's only because we started it and nobody else will finish it. It's a perpetual cycle.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think there is the political will to put that much into foreign aid. It's not just our bombing making them flee, many of the refugees are from sub Saharan Africa and coming because they can't survive economically in their home countries. And the fighting in Syria and Libya started when the citizens rose up because they were tired of poor economic conditions. You would need to make it so they have money to rebuild and develop to a point where people are no longer feeling the need to leave.

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The vast majority of migrants are exiting North Africa and crossing the Med via the chaotic failed state of Libya.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think that argument was tried when NAFTA was pushed, no more illegal immigrants since they will have work, how did that work out?

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Geographically speaking, I'd rather take my chances in Tunisia, as seeing that you're trying to tie this to yet another Benghazi bit, Tunisia went through the same Arab spring without a problem. At least at Tunis, you'd be guaranteed a better safe passage and a 90 mile Cuban strait-like trip across to Sicily.

Otherwise, you'd have to take your chances in Morocco, and seeing that Daesh is trying to get a better foothold there, it would be tough. However as the northeast peninsula there is technically Spain, putting you directly in Europe, without needing to transition through Gibraltar (though hitting Gibraltar puts you in the UK).

BL.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

One would think the 1.2B Muslims in the world that everyone is defending might be able to step up organize and execute a plan. It's not like they don't have the man power money or land.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they don't identify themselves with the extremist any more than Christians identify themselves with Tim McVeigh or the guy who shot up the AA church. or anymore than you and I identify ourselves with the occasional legal gun owners who go postal. lets not go down rabbit holes shall we.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You assume that all Muslims in the world are in the same geographical location.

Most Muslims live in the middle to southeast Asia area.

BL.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

They do identify themselves as human beings from a simliar culture and faith right? Again, one would think the entire situation over there would be a call for some type of unification among such a group of people.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2016 ---
    I'm not assuming anything. The world is a pretty accessible place. There's plenty of resources available in the middle east alone. They have planes, they have money, they land, they have people....

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Tell me this: How many different sects/branches of Christianity can you name? And can you name them here? And do you know the differences between them?

If you can and do, could you bring them all together for all Christians to unify, and unify without losing any importance to/of their religion?

that's the same question you are asking of Muslims, and seeing that Christians can't even do that themselves, you're asking a tall order.

Fair dinkum. I'll await how you can get nearly 700 million of those Muslims from Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and India all over to Syria, Egypt, and Iraq to help out.

BL.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

What's the difference when you have so many people migrating to other cultures. You have 28 EU nations all being watered down. How about the countries in the at immediate area figure this out. Islam is a religion of piece right? Do they not help one another? Christians and countries all over the world help to support other nations in a time of need, is it really too much to ask and such a tall order to expect they do the same for people who are closer in culture to them than the EU Nations and even us in the US? I don't think so. Time for them to over come their tall order.

That's for them to figure out. Time for those nations to start working together and pulling their weight as a people regardless of their differences. Is that really too much to expect? Again, I don't think so. Especially when the same argument and expectation is held to others including us.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

NAFTA is quite different from the kind of development that would be needed what we would need is something closer to the Marshall Plan. That said illegal immigration from Mexico is down, many of the people crossing our Southern border have traveled through Mexico from Central America.

21. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I don't believe I ever started or contributed to a Benghazi thread but now that you mention it, thousands of migrants weren't drowning in the Med when Ghadaffi was in power.

If the end goal is to reduce migrant deaths you have to eliminate the ROI on a Med float. That means intercepting migrant boats on the coast of North Africa and intercepting them on the high seas, and returning ALL the migrants to Libya, Tunisia, or Morocco. Also, landfall in Greece or Italy should result in a 48-hour turnaround back to North Africa. When it becomes too expensive to travel via the Med they'll move to the far safer land routes.

The other COA is to implement the UNHCR plan which essentially involved opening the floodgates and letting them all in.