In other News...

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
More other News regarding Adobe...

These two articles appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle today and yesterday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/19/BU117372.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2001/12/18/financial2139EST0153.DTL

It seems that our friends at Adobe "borrowed" some of Trio's code in their 1.x versions of InDesign. Adobe has been ordered to pull all copies of InDesign 1.5 off of store shelves, immediately.

Apparently, InDesign 2 will be unaffected as it supposedly doesn't have any Trio code in it.

Maybe this will encourage Adobe to get InDesign 2 out the door quicker.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
wish I had one

even though I got the free CD-RW during the promotion and mine does everything I ever need it to without a single problem, I wish I had one of those puppies...

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Hey, if you bought a newer rev TiBook (one that came with CDRW or could have), there is an upgrade offer now from Apple on their site (click on the TiBook under Hardware and it's buried with a cd-icon on the left bottom of the first page).. send in your rev. B TiBook with $299 (wether it's CD or DVD equipped doesn't matter) and they'll send it back with a Combo drive.. OR take it to the Apple store and they'll upgrade it in store for you..

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
Should I REALLY upgrade my TiBook ??

Just finally got my TiBook 667 CD-RW last Friday. I had waited six weeks for it ! And now, two days later, I learn that I should maybe have waited three more days ;-)
How does it feel ? Well. Actually ANYBODY reading the Apple rumors on the web must have guessesd that such a combo drive was in the pipeline. And: I have an old PB G3 still in use, which has a DVD player I never use, similar to the ones in my Cube and my G4...
Guess that mainly TiBook DVD owners will use this upgrade path. And: I think that it is really great that Apple once more is offering some kind of upgrade for existing Macs, but what I really would like to have is a CD-RW upgrade for my Cube !!

Mike

rupert burrows

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2001
I wonder if the Cube could be upgraded with the new combo drive? There seems to be no obvious reason, as it is presumably much the same size as the other drive options.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Hey, if you bought a newer rev TiBook (one that came with CDRW or could have), there is an upgrade offer now from Apple on their site (click on the TiBook under Hardware and it's buried with a cd-icon on the left bottom of the first page).. send in your rev. B TiBook with $299 (wether it's CD or DVD equipped doesn't matter) and they'll send it back with a Combo drive.. OR take it to the Apple store and they'll upgrade it in store for you..
I have the 500 mhz that came out in January. Love the machine. I'm not going to jump ship with it until at least the new towers come out next year or even the next generation PowerBooks come out. ;)

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Ti & Photoshop

After seeing the new standard with the slot loading drive (didn't it used to be a tray loader before?), this makes me want one even more. I tried out an iBook and a Powerbook at a store yesterday, both are pretty nice, and having a smaller screen on the iBook didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but it's hard to deny the beauty of the much larger Powerbook screen. Powerbook or iBook, Powerbook or iBook...decisions, decisions.

Okay, good to hear that there is an estimate on when Photoshop X is going to be released, but why has it taken Adobe so long to get it out? I would consider Photoshop probably Adobe's most important Mac application, and yet it seems like that it is the last app to get shipped. Even MS Office has been released, and from what I've understood, that was close to totally rewritten from the ground up with 25 million lines of code. Is Adobe rewriting Photoshop? Could they have released a Carbonized version of PS awhile ago? Anyway, once PS is released for OS X, then I think I'll hardly ever have to touch OS 9 again, except for the occasional game.

atlascott

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2001
iBook or TiBook?

Talk about an almost impossible choice!

Pros for iBook-tiny and fully functional, lower price, gorgeous.

Cons- G3 processor and Rage video card are dated.

Pros for Powerbook- still small but a true desktop replacement, now has the radeon! G4 and Combo drive will keep it current longer than a G3 equipped laptop, gorgeous.

Cons- pricey, less portable, fear of G5 and faster bus speeds in new release deter current purchase.

Does anyone know when Apple plans on updating their portables, and if so, what the plan is? If I have to wait 6 mos for a G4 iBook or a G5 Tibooks, I will, but if it is more like a year plus, I will buy sooner...Advice and rumors appreciated.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Honest advice

Wait until MWSF to purchase a TiBook or iBook. If they are going to reveal any new updates, it will of course be then.

You probably know as well as I do that the G4 Powerbooks came out long, long after the G4 desktops did. The G5 desktops, even if they come out in MWSF Jan 7th, wont be followed by a G5 Laptop until at least a year later. Just my prediction, but a solid one I think. You have a wide range of predicters here at macrumors, but trust in the fact that most people aim high.

So, get the top of the line ibook or tibook after MWSF, and I think you will have the latest for longer than normal. I dont see a Rev C TiBook in the near future, and if the ibook has a Rev B coming out any time soon, it will be probably be at MWSF. But certainly dont count on a G5 Powerbook for a long, long time.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
maybe the tibook can come with a hot swapable bay one day so you can have an extra battery, floppy, superdisk, and zip but the form factor seems awfully thin but things change so fast in technology

but this is very wishful thinking