In other words, the phones with a proper hardware fix will ship after September 30

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VladM, Jul 17, 2010.

1. VladM macrumors regular

2. cowsrus macrumors 6502

September 30th is the end of Q3

they were not about to promise free cases 'forever' so they chose a logical date and said, "we'll will see what happens when it gets closer to september 30th"

chances are we won't see a hardware fix because that would issue its own kind of recall to the early adopters and such

3. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Dont think anyone really knows what SJ meant by that... Could be the date it comes out on a different carrier... I wouldnt think it would be the fix for the current iPhone because then what are they going to say to all the people that already bought one.... Possibly a light revamp on the current phone with maybe some upgraded features to justify calling it a new phone.... We shall wait and see...

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No.

As someone else told me today, people here overparse everything too much. They take everything Apple says and then add all kinds of extra and non-intended meaning into it.

It is absurd. The date is nothing but a date they can set so they can potentially see how things go down the line. It does not mean ANYTHING is planned to happen at that time. Anyone who is making any decisions based on something happen then, should be poked with a sharp hot stick.

5. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

I think I wil reevaluate my decision to purchase after sept 30, too. ;)

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

That's a very wise decision ... :)

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Then you'll be hand wringing if you should wait only 9 more months for the iPhone 5in June 2011.

8. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

No. I'll get the 5 in any case, the only reason for delaying now is because of the antennagate.

9. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

iphone 5 wont have the death grip issue but it wont get as good reception as the iphone 4. Thats the tradeoff, antenna exposed so you can get great signal most of the time in more places, or old school antenna so you can get mediocre signal all the time, even when holding it like a dork

10. ManUtd08 macrumors member

This. I just dont understand why everyone is putting so much significance behind the Sept. 30 date. It is just a date plain and simple.

11. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

New iphones usually come out every two years. So this time it'll only be a year? Where did you hear this?

12. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

uhh?

2007 - 2G
    2008 - 3G
    2009 - 3GS
    2010 - 4

13. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Guess it seemed longer. LOL

14. samcraig macrumors P6

The date means nothing

The next phone might be called the 4GR (R for Reception) instead of GS (S for speed) though ;)

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then you're delaying for no reason, except one that you've manufactured in your head. If it bothers you, get something else.

Think about it: there's a class action suit out there about the antenna issue. If Apple planned to "fix" the problem by September 30, do you really think they would get away with saying "hey screw you guys who bought it first, only new ones get the fix."

The ship has sailed. Anyone who actually listened to the press conference, and has read about the press tours, should come away with the conclusion that Apple's top brass believes they did everything they could've done with the iPhone 4, and aren't about to mess with the design any further. At best they'll tweak it for next year's design when the next iteration comes out.

At the end of the day, the only test that matters is the one you do, holding it in your hand, where you live and work and spend time, making and receiving calls. You get 30 days to do that. If you're unwilling to do that, then don't buy it.

The only thing that's likely to change on September 30 is Apple's policy on distributing bumpers. I predict by then the only manufacturing or design change is in the boxes iPhone 4s ship in: they'll be slightly bigger to accommodate an included bumper.

16. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I bet in sept 30. They will just ship bumpers inside the iPhone boxes.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Well, Q# ends Sep 30. By ending the giveaway on that date they can still do Q3 earnings and not have to forecast costs of the free cases into Q4.

It could mean a redesign will be out by then, assuming a redesign is in the offing but why ship any phones before then? All you'll do is upset early purchasers who'll want a fixed phone; resulting in returns for those in the 30 day window and probably a lawsuit for those that can't.

It could also mean Apple will include a bumper with all phones after that; in the box.

I have no idea; but I doubt 30 Sept is magical beyond the close of Q3.

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you need someone to talk to while you delay your purchase, feel free to call me on my iPhone 4. 3+ hours of talk time per day thus far and I've only had one dropped call. Compared to my old 3G....its amazing.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yeah just like the "second batch" was supposed to be the "silent recall" ones.:rolleyes:

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's _only_ a phone.

Hand ringing... Oh please...

21. xraytech macrumors 68020

Not going to happen.

22. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Thats kind of what i think, i think they are going to try to have a hardware fix and they don't have one by Sep. 30 then the free bumpers will continue. I mean Steve said he would re-evaluate after Sep. 30. What is there to re-evaluate if you don't have a fix? The problem isn't going to go away on its own. I just don't see why he would even say that they would re-evaluate unless they intend to come out with an actual fix.

23. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

no

24. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

They certainly won't change the hardware. If they did everyone would assume that this was done to fix the problem and everyone would expect to have theirs replaced with the new one. I think it is far more likely that by the end of september everyone (except for maybe a few people here) will have forgotten about this and it won't be an issue anymore.